Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I hope to make this as short as possible. Is my Lucy too old for training/obedience? She's housebroken for the most part but jumps up on visitors, etc. I've tried and read and listened to everyone's advice and she's definitely making progress but until last night I didn't realize how much I may be doing wrong. We had some small boys visit from England (long story) and one of them has a grandfather who raises hounds. Lucy jumped up and he very gently touched her neck and side and said down. DOWN SHE WENT! Next, I wanted her to drop a sock. He went over to her and, again GENTLY, took his thumb and forefinger just behind her ears and squeezed. Down went the sock! This boy was 12 years old and he had her mesmerized. ARGH! So.. my thoughts are.. I guess training ME would probably help. Thanks in advance..

Doreen.. of course Lucy can't wait to hear your comments!! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lucy isnt too old to train just more challenging.
i am no expert but i see this in my obedience class i take with sadie.

one big thing they teach in class is when there is bad behavior dont feed it with speaking or touching....ignoring is the best path...i am working with sadie on greeting new people. i ask them not to allow her to jump up just turn around and ignore her until all 4 paws are on the ground. i think this could work.....but i have to reinforce it every time.
i would be very interested in the ear technique that was used.......

T

·
0 Posts
I think maybe the squeezing mimics the mother dog when she disciplines a puppy. I'm going to try this one with Ms. Twinkie.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
I've heard that squeezing at the back of their jaw does, indeed, force them to open their mouths without hurting them. Shall have to try it with Jasmine, as we're having problems getting things off her lately.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's never to late to teach an old dog a new trick.
Hap was about 1 when we got him, they worked on sit at the shelter, but he was untrained. So was I for that matter. We did learn the whole house really has to agree on rules like jumping, my husband loves a jumping dog!

I would be a little hesitent to go around pinching the dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts