Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was just posted on another Basset forum I read. I thought it was worth posting the information here.
In a message dated 12/10/2008 6:25:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Karencantner writes:

We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. Two, beloved Cavaliers of
mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from a decorative basket in my Living room.

Within hours, they were vomiting it, convulsing and going into total body rigidity
and shock. We took them to the after hours clinic, they had no idea what it could be
and wouldn't listen to me about them vomiting potpourri at home and how I had such
concerns about the toxic effects of it. They treated symptoms.

We transferred them to our day vet. He also wouldn't listen to me about the
potpourri theory. He said they had "strychnine" poisoning symptoms. I kept telling
him that the potpourri was Made In India, sold by a company in California and sold at
my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the culprit of their condition.

They declined rapidly throughout the day and we transferred them back to the after
hours clinic for a second night. At midnight, I made the agonizing decision to put
them to sleep. Haley was in constant seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling
up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was lying almost
lifeless on the table, struggling with every breath she took. Every muscle was
completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.

I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed and function)
to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have since found out I was
right....... .....there is a lab in England that has case studies on toxic potpourri
from India!! The toxin....strychnine , which in it's commercial source, comes from a
certain tree grown in India . I am completely heart broken over this.

Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like this in our homes.
I would've never guessed this could happen but when I saw them both "playing" in the
potpourri and then after about two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put
two and two together. Hug your babies, Love them and always take lots of photos along
the helps later on, trust me.

Karen Cantner, Heartland Kennels, Evansville , Indiana USA

Permission to cross post - should be unedited and sent in it's entirety with her
contact info.

1,244 Posts
Oh dear that's horrible. Thanks for posting this warning!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.