Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just came home from a walk and I had to carry George partway because once he knew we were headed toward home, he flatly refused to BUDGE. Or he'd take a few steps and stop. Or he'd insist on going THAT way when home was THIS way and when he didn't get his way ... STOP. So I scooped him up and carried him (which is fine with HIM) and even though his daddy and Gigi made fun of him and daddy even conned Gigi into running circles around him (literally), he was oblivious. Sigh. I thought the competitive spirit would come out with a second dog who actually WANTS to walk and doesn't mind WHERE we go as long as we go and that he would, well, MOVE. Mind you, he's willing to walk when we start out and as long as we haven't started toward home, but the MOMENT he suspects we're going toward home ... It's embarrassing to plod along carrying your dog when it's HIS walk! :rolleyes: Hubby offered to come home and get the truck but finally we just traded dogs and for some reason, when we do that, he'll actually pick 'em up and put 'em down for a while. Last time, I had been walking Gigi and Bill had George when we traded so it's not just that he'll walk for Bill and not me. It must be something to do with the trading.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
STG truth: I once saw someone pushing their basset in a baby stroller. I'm guessing they'd finally just given up on the guy. Needless to say, he looked mighty pleased with himself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I met a basset owner that said that his basset only walks one way and then refuses to walk back home. So to resolve this issue they would walk one way up the street and on the way back his basset would ride back in a wheel barrel. :lol:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, I've looked at little red wagons and Bill HAS gone home for the truck on occasion. On one of those occasions, we were at the park a couple of blocks away and George had flatly refused to budge an inch, and Bill went home for the truck and when George saw the truck coming down the street, he stood up and started wagging his tail and for all the world, he might as well have spoken aloud: "THERE'S my ride!" and he was all eagerness when I opened the door and he jumped right in. He was very pleased with HIMSELF, I can tell you, and wagged his tail and was so happy all the way home. What we go THROUGH for these hounds! :blink:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried biscuits and cheese and weenies. That'll get him to go a few steps, but if I don't hand over the treat after three or four steps, he stops again. So, I tried taking a BUNCH of treats -- take three or four steps, get a treat; take three or four more, get another treat ... problem is, he knows we're headed home about four blocks before we get here, and I'd have to carry an awful lot of treats to get him to go four blocks three or four steps at a time. :rolleyes: What he really wants is the truck to come and get him.

·
Registered
118 Posts
George sounds just like José. He walks - no runs! - just fine and when we turn the corner to go home he is like a stubborn mule. I run to intercept any time he looks like he is wandering off the sidewalk, because he will plop down in someone's grass faster than you knew a basset could move. If that happens, it's over!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Doris will normally rather go in opposite direction of me,
but can be persuaded to change her mind....

Emma is happy wherever we go, as long as we go somewhere....

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think we are gonna need a carry chair for Lennon soon...He walks so far and then just lies down in the grass as if to say right I have had enough I am sleeping here tonight..He flatly refuses to move until he sees another dog and then he is off bounding away like some crazed loonie......We so often end up carrying him and jeez is he starting to get one heavy basset now...He loves it though...the look on his face is as if to say he he look at these silly humans carrying me home ...:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts