Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
Acl do not heal in dogs the only cure is surgery.
most surgical repairs are not as strong as the original. Might want to consider TPLO surgery. It reconstructs the knee so an acl is nor needed. Many agility dogs with torn ACL and tplo surgery go on to compete again. The other thing about ACL's is they ussually come in pairs. It is tought the by compensating for the weakness in the bad leg dogs more often than not tear the one in the other leg.

You might also consider a diet change. In a study on sled dogs high protein diet 26-32% eliminated soft tissue injuries that occured at lower protein levels

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
have you seen an orthopeadic vet just by manipulating the joint the can generally tell if the ACL is bad. Another common knee problem in basset is luxating patella (knee cap pops out of place]

FWIW Zephyr had a problem with swelling and pain arount the knee and would limp on that leg, x-rays and manipulation for the join showed the joint to be solid. After months of crate rest and no improvement opted for exploratory surgery over an MRI. Cost the same and surgery hsd the potential of solving the problem. It was discover se had a streched digital extensor tendon runs from the femur to the toe in a groove by the knee. It was the slack around the knee that cause the inflamation. So the knee was 100% stable even though that was where the inflamation showed up.

It is always best to consult with a vet that specializes in orthopeadic in these types of matters. Better yet is an orthopeadic vet familure with bassets, because there dwarfism causes some anomalies that for other breeds would pose a problem but are not in bassets. much uneeded surgery is performed on the breed for this reason.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went to the vet today, the torn ACL is a possibility although wasn't totally obvious by her manipulating his leg, she said that his knee feels a little thicker on the bad leg though. The torn ACL theory came up after I'd told her that I put him on aspirin for 2 days and didn't see any improvement, which leads me to believe that ACL problems don't respond to anti-inflamatory/pain meds. I should've asked more questions when I was there, but my mind kinda went blank after I found out that it could be much worse than a muscle strain.

Right now he's on Deramax for 2 weeks and if there's no improvement at that time she will take x-rays to find out what's going on. There aren't any orthopedic's nearby that I know of, but one regularly comes to her clinic and does surgerys so one will be available if it comes to that which I hope it doesn't ($3000 that I can't afford right now).

By the way it's his left rear leg that's affected, he limps, holds it up while standing and sometimes stretches it out behind him, but will still run on all fours and usually sits on that leg. He had his first Deramax about 4 1/2 hrs ago, he's sleeping now but when I saw him walk about 1 1/2 hrs ago his limp wasn't as bad as earlier (but he still held the leg up when he stood still). I don't want to get a false sense of hope that it's not the ACL if he is improving on the meds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and I feed them Innova dry which is 24% protein, but in their former home they were fed ol roy, so they've only been on the really good stuff for 2 1/2 months, I've already seen a huge difference in their coats. Rosie's had somewhat of a black undercoat on her saddle which is now coming through as an actual saddle, and Tucker is almost done "molting". I am really happy with their food and don't really want to switch them again, but Innova also has another variety called EVO and it's protein content is 42.2% so I'll have to talk to the vet and see what she thinks too.

Winnieslo, how long was Sally at the vet after the surgery and what was her recovery period like? Also if you don't mind, what was the cost of the surgery?

Cindy

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sally was only in overnight...came home with the instructions to keep her quiet..Ha...I think she felt so much better that restricting her activity was difficult...she certainly was back to her old self within a couple of weeks. The cost? That was quite some time ago so I can't recall, although I am always pinching pennies it seems and I didn't think it was an awful expense. I am blessed with a vet whose practice is in a down scale neighborhood, so his charges are very resaonable,

Judy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, what a huge difference in cost! I guess that's the price I pay for living in one of the most expensive areas in CA. Maybe if he needs the surgery I'll have to take a vacation and get it done elsewhere if that's even possible. I will also check with UC Davis to find out what they charge for this, it's only about a 2 hour drive from me so that might be a possiblility, and from what I understand their fees are considerably less since they are a teaching hospital.

The good news is that after 2 doses of the Deramax Tuckers limp isn't nearly as bad and he doesn't always hold the foot up while standing as he was prior to today, so I'm hopeful that his problem is not the ligament.

Thanks for the info, and if you can think of anything else I'm all ears.

Cindy

·
Registered
274 Posts
I might be wrong here but both Sophie and Abbie injured themselves in the exact same way your describing and I cant recall the name of the injury. Both injured the opposite leg with in a year. At the time my vet said this injury used to be treated only with surgery but now he could treat it with a shot serries of Adequan. They each got 4 to 6 shots 2weeks apart at $50. a shot, totalling $200 to $300. Sophie's brother also had this problem but they used a different vet and had surgury.(cost a fortune)All dogs healed wonderfully. My records dont say the name of the injury but it was a torn something in the hind leg. They would run around the yard yet limp in the house and seem afraid of stairs.Vet said they werent in pain just afraid to use the leg. I can call on Monday to find out the name, maybe it was something else, it just sounds like the same thing.Either way good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts