Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tootie had quite a weekend!

Yesterday, her dad and I were in the pool. We have an above ground pool, and it is tough for her to see us very well.

But, Brian cut some brush out of our flower boxes a couple of weekends ago, and now Tootie can stand on the edge and put her front paws on the pool edge to look at us. However, yesterday she took that a step further and jumped in the pool on her own, and swam to mommy.

Tootie loves the pool, but only if she's right by us. She wouldn't jump in if we weren't in there, thank goodness. She just can't stand being away from us.

So today for a treat we decided to take Tootie to Grandma and Grandpa's house, to swim in their inground pool and to see Aunt Pepper (their St Bernard, her favorite buddy).

Once she heard we were going on a trip, this was her reaction:

Of course, we all had a fun day. She did plenty of chasing and wrestling with Pepper, got in the pool a few times (with Daddy's help) and even layed on the raft.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos, and only got this one:

Anyway she seemed happy to get home, and see her kitty and get some rest! She was quite tired this evening, and slept on us on the couch all night :)

A fun weekend was had by all! :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
How well can she swim? I always heard they aren't good swimmers. I've never tried taking my near water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haha. That's funny. Both of mine do that the minute the leashes come out! Looks like she had a great time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Dozer-Digger
How well can she swim? I always heard they aren't good swimmers. I've never tried taking my near water.
Not that well....we don't let her do much actual swimming. She will swim a short distance between Brian and I. Mostly we kind of "hold her" on the raft, so she won't fall off.

She loves the water, but isn't so much into the actual 'swimming' part :p

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Thanks for the movie and the fine pics! :D

Looks like Tootie had a wonderful day!

Tootie looks like a lightweight basset,
so she would probably swim rather okay.
Emma swam once, but didn't liked it,
Soffi and Doris have never been swimming.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like you had a wet and wild weekend. :D Great pics, too bad you didn't get one with Tootie on the raft that would have been hillarious!! Also, I've seen doggy lifevests at Petsmart, you might want to get one to help Tootie with the swimming.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments :)

Wow, she was so wrecked from her field trip yesterday she was still sleeping it off this morning!
She didn't even care that her daddy and I had to go to work....usually she follows me around in the morning and gives me that "You can't leave me" face- especially on Mondays.

Today she was ready for some beauty sleep apparently! :D

Of course, by tonight she was all rested up, and Mommy came home with some new bones, so she's all bright eyed and cheery again. :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I would add a pic of Tootie's best friend, her aunt Pepper.

Pepper is my parent's 150 pound St. Bernard. She is 5 now. Tootie went to see her for the first time the day I got her, which was at about 12 weeks. She also got to stay with her for 2 weeks while we got married & went on our Honeymoon. Pepper taught Tootie how to drool.......great...... :roll:

With the coloring being dead-on, we kinda think that Tootie might think Pepper is her birth momma :lol:

Next time we go over I'll try to get some pics of them together. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Awsome dog! General reacts exactly the same way when I take his leash out. You know, General swims pretty good. We take him out in the boat all the time and we let him in the water but I do stay close to him because his legs are so short. He loves it!

J

·
0 Posts
We have a pool. Our lab LOVES it, Molly on the other hand sits right by the deck door from the minute we get in until we get out. She always tries to get inside, as far away from the pool as possible. Last year she fell in and we had to rescue her. She was looking at her reflection in the water and tipped over....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
When I was a teen, (many many MANY moons ago :D ), I had a basset named Lady Brutus.
Brutus used to love to go in the boat when we went water skiing. When ever we got close to shore on our way in, we'd lower her over the side of the boat, and let her swim the rest of the way in.
She never seemed to mind, it was just to cool her off. No one told us (or HER) that bassets couldn't swim. She'd then do the 500 around the yard, It was so cute. She didn't seem to have any trouble swimming. It never even occured to us that bassets couldn't swim very well...

Nice pictures, Tootie looked quite tuckered out but happy at the end of the day.

Sandy

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pepper does have the same droopy-eyed look bassets do, of course they would think they're related! :lol:

As for swimming, I never thought about taking George swimming but if I had, I foolishly assumed all dogs just knew how to swim. All the ones I had before did. We don't have anywhere to take him and the creek nearby is too icky, though if I'd let him, he likes wading in it. It's not deep enough for swimming and I'd rather he stayed out of it anyway because the factory near us dumps God-knows-what into that ditch. When I figured out he likes to wade, the creek became off-limits on walks and we just avoid it now. Can someone explain to me why a dog who refuses to go outside in rainy weather -- even after it's stopped raining and the deck and grass are wet, because he might get his precious paws damp -- likes to wade in mud puddles and nasty drainage ditches????? Is he TRYING to drive me crazy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts