Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toothbrush for my kids from PetSmart. It is a long handled brush with a large brush at one end and a tiny brush at the other. It works fine but they both need a new one. I trained them to come running into my bathroom before bed each night to get their teeth brushed. It is SO funny! I'll ask my Husband to video it!! I'm thinking of getting the triple brushe one. It has three brushes made into one at the head.

Any opinions on the brush??

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Better than the old kind that you stick on the end of your finger! :lol:

Did you get the Chicken flavored toothpaste?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They prefer the Peanut Butter flavored but anything will do!! I even brush their tongues so they don't have bad breath :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
How on earth did you train them to like getting their teeth brushed?
It takes two people to brush Bogie's. He loves the taste of the toothpaste, and the licking it off his teeth, but he does not love the experience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
So Patty, do each of the kids have their own toothbrush? :D Cute pics you've been posting. But I really want to see the toothbrushing video. Bet its adorable!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they each have a separate toothbrush. I do this because of Rusty's Lip Fold Pyoderma and yeast he sometimes gets. I don't want to swap germs from the toothbrush. I also discourage them as much as possible from washing each other's mouths. They know when last call for potty time is at night. Whe we come in, I started running into my bathroom hollering "Who wants their teeth brushed". They LOVE excited voices. They do everything as one dog so when one came running the other followed. I tell them to sit and then they just sit there till I'm done. Rusty is usually first, then he watchs me brush Stickers teeth. Then I tell them "Get on your beds" and they run and plop on their doggie beds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure did! It does a great job because it gets all sides of the tooth. However to work the dog has to have it's mouth opened. No easy feat! They are not quite as cooperative. I use the regular one nightly and use the triple head once a week when I scale their teeth. Here's a link to a video I did awhile back. Stickers isn't as enthusiast as Rusty!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Boo...nt=100_2158.flv

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for letting me know how it works! I may try that for Yogi.
I remember the video but I watched it again because I find your kids so charming! They are both dolls! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I bought the toothbrushes pictured above for my boys--Maggie's Mommy is right, they have to have their mouths (wide) open in order for it to be effective. I went back and bought two regular soft toothbrushes at the dollar store and we have better luck with those. Button loves to have his teeth brushed, (loves the toothpaste more likely) but Elmer just likes to lick the toothpaste (beef flavor). If we try to actually brush Elmer's teeth he runs like we are trying to clip toenails or something! :rolleyes:
He acts the same way over ear drops.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
My guys actually seem to prefer the battery-operated toothbrushes. Maybe becaue you don't have to swish them around the mouth as much. They like the chicken toothpaste.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use a battery-operated brush, too, and find the dogs tolerate it much better than a regular one. I just put 'em on the grooming table, hold their mouth open, and get the job done. Other people at dog shows have watched me doing this and got battery-operated brushes for their dogs, too.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts