Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sally has recently reverted to puppyhood (she's 8) and started chewing things. This in itself is unusual - she hadn't really chewed up anything for several years before this.

I heard suspicious noises from our office; everyone scattered, but Sally looked guilty. They had chewed up a book. Mind, we have books all over the house within easy reach of the dogs. The creepy thing was the book they picked - The Basset Owner's Survival Guide by Diane Morgan. Are they planning a bloodless coup or something? Should we be afraid????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are they planning a bloodless coup or something? Should we be afraid????[/b]
Lock the bedroom door at nights...

Chewing can mean that there is something wrong with their teeth or gums, just like when they were puppies and teething the try to relieve the pain. Being she can be getting to an age where she might have a few dental problems.

Having said that I also read (and experience from Dixie), that every time you think they are over bad behavior they like to mix it up and prove you wrong. If it continues I would have her teeth checked, if not I would not worry about it, other than the coup the is.

Tim

·
Registered
417 Posts
The creepy thing was the book they picked - The Basset Owner's Survival Guide by Diane Morgan. Are they planning a bloodless coup or something? Should we be afraid????[/b]
I have no ideas as to why the sudden regression to chewing stuff, but this just cracked me up! :lol: :lol: Be afraid....be very very afraid. ;)

Actually, Scully (who has never really been a chewer either) had a period when she went on a bit of a chewing rampage at age 7, and it was undoubtedly due to the fact that she wasn't too happy with some changes to her routine at the time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lukes, Sally's teeth are fine......they were just checked. It would be nice to have an explanation, but that's not it! I guess it's just a Basset thing...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
...Having said that I also read (and experience from Dixie), that every time you think they are over bad behavior they like to mix it up and prove you wrong. ...
Tim[/b]
That's SO true! Moe, at nine years old, hadn't gotten into any mischief in such a loooooooooooong time that I thought it was behind him for good. But the other day when I was taking my hubby's new socks out of the packaging Moe stole a sock and took off as if his but was on fire. :blink: I was dumbfounded but this was his old way of getting someone, anyone, to play with him. After getting over my shock, I chased him a few laps around the kitchen and living room (open floor plans are great fun) before he gave up. Then he abandoned his soggy prize and hopped back up onto the couch for a nap, as if nothing had ever happened. :rolleyes: I tossed the soggy sock into the wash. With a Basset you never know what will happen, or when. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I know what you mean. The other day I was sitting at my computer when all of a sudden Francis (9 years old) grabbed a slipper off my foot and slunk off into the other room. I chased him and we played tug o' war with the slipper for a few minutes.
Just when you think they're starting to become old geezers...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi will sometimes revert to chewing as an act of passive-aggression. :blink: !.

For example, if he wants to go on a car ride, but I fail to comply, or I leave the house when he wants to cuddle, I'll sometimes find things mildly chewed.

This behavior has completely stopped, though, with the arrival of the Lean Mean Chewing Mach .... er, I mean, the lovely and always enchanting Bailey. Although she's gotten much, much better and hardly chews at all.

However, what began happening after she arrived was she'd be chewing on something, I'd catch her and Yogi would puff up with pride and self-satisfaction - kind of a combination of LOOK AT ME I WASN"T CHEWING! and HA HA HA< BAILEY'S IN TROUBLE NOW!

:blink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be Sally simply remembers how much fun it was in the good old days. My wife always has some "reason" for our Lily's bad behavior, while I just chalk it up to her enjoying it for what it is. I mean Basset's ENJOY chewing (and attempting to digest) your valuable things, stealing and ripping holes in socks and underwear, rendering garden hoses useless, etc.

As for that particular book, it does have a hard, sturdy, shiny appetizing cover. I know Lily wouldn't pass up our copy, if given the chance. ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Maybe there is something in the air :lol: or maybe they have Spring fever. Last night Bogie disappeared. When I went to check on him I found him in the bathroom. He was standing by the toilet paper holder tearing chunks of toilet paper off and spitting them in the floor. He has never done that! Then about and hour later he tumped over the den garbage can and pulled out the used kleenex. Another first. What a little stinker!

Can you believe this sweet guy could be a naughty boy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: .... just remember to sleep with your eyes open....

Daisy has just started to dig the lawn, she hasn't done this for about 2 years, I don't think she really want to, just reminding us she still can... a matter of choice ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
So Sally has recently reverted to puppyhood (she's 8) and started chewing things. This in itself is unusual - she hadn't really chewed up anything for several years before this.

I heard suspicious noises from our office; everyone scattered, but Sally looked guilty. They had chewed up a book. Mind, we have books all over the house within easy reach of the dogs. The creepy thing was the book they picked - The Basset Owner's Survival Guide by Diane Morgan. Are they planning a bloodless coup or something? Should we be afraid????[/b]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts