Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the Basset world and lots of questions but I'll just start with this one. We adopted an 8 week old male basset last week and He seems to urinate an extrodinary amount. I have never had a puppy this little, but he will actually urinate 5 times in a 5 minute period and they are large amounts. we took him to the vet for his shots and they tested his urine and it was normal, we tried restricting the water but he still goes so much. On one potty trip outside he went 6 times! Is this normal for bassets or for really young puppies? Also, :confused: How in the heck do I try to potty train if he urinates all the time?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just went through this myself with my puppy.
yep, 8 weeks very young and is just like a brand new human baby. they pee and poop alot.....best thing for training and your sanity is crate training.
trying searching "crate training: on this forum and on google.
my pup is 6 months and still needs to go out at least 1 x per hour.

also check out dailly drool devoted to basset owners....search crate training on this forum.
lots of great information and great support from the members

:)

[ March 05, 2006, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: jmm ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
The good think that you recognised esepcial in males it that going once is not always the end of it. It often lead to the fustration that but he went outside not 5 minutes ago.

The other important factor to remember in pupies is this from Housetraining Your Puppy
"Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.

A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners. "

A

·
0 Posts
The first few days I got my basset (at 8 weeks) I was joking that I might as well pitch a tent out in the back yard. We were out constantly.
Also, a male dog (probably even a puppy) will try to scent mark EVERYTHING. Even now, on a 2 mile walk around the park, Francis will pee about 50 times, a drop here a few drops there, a real stream at one bush...
Restricting water before bed is good but be careful of water restriction in general.
Good luck and have fun with your new puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts