Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen people asking if their Bassets are too tall or too short,what I would like to know is: can a Basset be too long? I got Toby from rescue so don't know his background but,other Basset owners have said this and I noticed it the first time I saw him.

Would this be looked upon as a fault by breeders?
Could this be a sign of a BYB?
Will there be added health risks?pressure on legs, spine etc.

There is no doubt he's all basset but just very long and slim and slightly longer legs any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yes, a basset can be too long. It's all about proportion.

From "The New Complete Basset Hound" by Mercedes Brawn:
A well-proportioned Basset is built in the four-to-three ratio: the height at the withers is approximately three-fourths of the measurement from the withers to the tail.
You ask about back problems and length of body. According to Braun:
Most back troubles stem frmo a short rib-cage.  There should be little space from the last rib to the hip, leaving a very few lumbar vertebrae without some support.  The rib should be as wide as the shoulder, and two-thirds to three-quarters as deep as the height at the withers. . . .
According to the AKC Standard for the Basset Hound height over 15 inches at the highest point of the shoulder blades is a disqualification.

I've seen a few dogs in the ring that I thought looked too long but I think short or cobby is a more common fault.

A basset from a back yard breeder often has more obvious faults than too long a body, such as short ears, long legs and fine bone. And more importantly, usually more health problems.

But short, tall, long or short, it's the personaility that really counts so don't worry about any faults he might have. As back problems do occur in bassets I would curtail jumping off furniture to reduce the risk. But talk to your vet for specific health care advise regarding Toby's back.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If Toby is young, he amy simply be immature and LOOK too long. I've had a couple of young males look very long, but were more in proportion once they matured and bodied up.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Barney, the pup I have from Soundtrack, looks VERy long. He is long, but he is also still slim (not quite 2 years old). He's got a good length of rib though, so I think he'll be in nice proportion once he finishes filling out. He's in obedience classes right now (more just to soacilalize than anything else), and the instructor said on the first night "Wow - that is he longest basset I've ever seen!" LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Our first basset, Freckles (1981-1995), was very long but very well proportioned. When we took her to Europe the first time, a lady stopped us in the airport in Frankfort and just went bonkers over Freckles. She told us that she was a "Belgian" basset and they tend to be longer.

We also had dinner with a English Lord and Lady in 1993 and one of their guests was a Madame ?? (it's been many years) a French breeder of bassets. She told us that French/Belgian bassets were longer also.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like he is too long.He is 15inches at withers, but he is 26inches from withers to base of tail.His ribs cover about two thirds of his back.
He weighs 46pounds and I think compared to other Bassets he is fine boned(although his ears are massive)
Betsy I have asked my vet about him being too long,But her answer was that in her opinion ALL bassets are too long.
It wasn't for cosmetic reasons thatI put up this thread.I now know that the stairs have to be gated off,I have ordered a ramp for the car, and as I have no chance of getting him off the couch,I have ordered a mini ramp for that.

I did buy a book about Bassets (Basset Hounds by Joan Urban)but none of this info was in there.Would be grateful if anyone knows of a book which would help in the general health of Bassets.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
As far as I know, there aren't any books specifically addressing health issues in bassets. Fancy Publications published a breed specific issue on bassets a couple of years ago, which had a couple of good articles on health issues, if you can find a copy.

General health issues with all bassets include ears, obesity, and backs...check ears frequently and keep them clean, keep weight reasonable to prevent joint stress, and if possible, minimize trips up and (especially) down stairs.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tess and Hugh's mum,the ramps are from a shop in my town.It sells rabbit hutches, dog kennels,crates etc.The rampfor the car was no problem,but they had to make me the one for the couch.I only ordered one I have two couches in lounge so have gone for another as he goes from one to another.(should have thought of that)But they are fantastic!I never thought of doing a web search.Don't know where you are but if you want the address let me know.

Momlady,was thinking of the french basset theory and I suppose that is a possibility.At least now when people mention his length I can say he is a true french basset! BTW Love the social circle you move in :D

My vet isn't a very good source of info on bassets in fact on his first visit to her I asked if she had any advice concerning bassets.She said yes went away and came back with a pet insurance form! She told me to fill it in and post it off ASAP as I was sure as heck going to need it!(thats over 2 years ago and I have never used it)

Bassets are certainly not her favourite breed.Thanks again

·
Registered
939 Posts
according to my goes intos if the dog is 15 inches at the withers he should be 26 and a quarter inches long,just a touch short.i took 15 and added it to 75% or 3/4 of the height, and got 11.25 inches. 15 + 11.25 = 26.25.is this formula correct?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maths isn't my strong point, but,I think going by how Betsy said to work it out,he should be only 20 inches????from withers to base of tail.Not really sure though.Got a mate whose good at maths will ask him.

If you're right pinehawk then it could be his neck that is long.Was looking at it today after you said he was short and his neck is really long.Could be that.It could be an optical illusion me thinking it is his back.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well I pulled out my old algebra brain cells and said 3/4 of 15 = x. And if I did my arithmetic right it equals 20 inches. Now that is from the point in between the shoulder blades to the base of tail. Seems like it's not long enough for such a tall dog so maybe I'm interpreting the formual wrong. How about it you conformation experts? I do know that Mrs Braun says a 15 inch basset would have to way about a 100 lbs to "fit the standard."

A basset is suppose to have a nice neck. If it looks like the head is just stuck on his body, the dog's neck is too short. Miriam, you must have some pictures that show all this. :confused:

[ June 02, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Barb, I'll tell your former math teacher how well you calculated this. He'll be very proud ;) !!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Hmmmm...now I'm going to have to measure some dogs. But I'm taking a quick break in my packing for the weekend (Canadian Nationals) so it'll have to wait until I get back.

·
Registered
289 Posts
LOL.. I hope my husband doesn't get a tape measure out.. he might think I'm not championship material.. alas.. after 30 years, tough luck!

Doreen and her Lucy (who will be measured when I get home)!

:D

·
Registered
939 Posts
the way i heard it should be was always twice as long as it is tall,but the way i figured it i think is right.this is what i heard from some of the old field trialers.now i'm not sure if they meant from the nose to the base of the tail,or if the head was streched out or held at a normal stand.any way i'll go by what i figured and say the dog is OK.how many of us out there have seen how the dogs are measured? if you go to the beagle field trials they have a stand that they use and a blade drops on top of the dog and is locked and the measurement is read from the rule on the side of the blade,I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN A BASSET MEASURED AT ANY SHOW OR FIELD TRIAL EVER.maybe we should start?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've seen the wicket used twice, neither time was the dog disqualified for exceeding 15 inches. One of them was winner's dog at a specialty. I did notice he never finished his championship so maybe he continued to grow. :(

[ June 03, 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts