Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woodrow went for his 14 week checkup/shots today and everything is great. He is a big boy and growing fast and the vet says he looks great.
He is due for his last round of puppy shots on Jan. 16th, and the vet asked me today about neutering. We definintely want to fix Woodrow, and I know that the younger we do it, then the better, but I want to make sure 4 months isn't too early. The vet assured me that once they get to be 4 months, they are ready.
Has anyone done this at 4 months? I'm just a little concerned...........

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would assume that if the vet said it was okay then it is okay...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Charlie, my golden got neutered at four months old and he was just fine. I know it is a whole lot simpler of an operation for males then females so I would go ahead and have it done if you want to.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
He is due for his last round of puppy shots on Jan. 16th, and the vet asked me today about neutering. We definintely want to fix Woodrow, and I know that the younger we do it, then the better, but I want to make sure 4 months isn't too early. The vet assured me that once they get to be 4 months, they are ready.
Has anyone done this at 4 months? I'm just a little concerned...........
[/b]

In a nut shell the advantages and disadvantages of nuetering early

Advantages smaller incission that heals quicker.

Disadvantage the earlier the dog is neutered the longer the growth plates stay open. This means the long bones of the limbs grow longer hence a taller dog. The average differential of match pairs of dog early nuetering vs not neuter is 1/4" in height also smaller sex organs with early nueter but it does not effect heath risk like a narower urethra that were once thought.

for more detail on the advantages and disadvantages see
Early Spay/Neuter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts