Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that Penny got spayed. We took her to a mobile vet unit called Emancipet (which, if you live in the Austin area, I HIGHLY recommend). Travis dropped her off this morning and we went to pick her up around 5. When we went to get her, we were met but one of the vet techs who told us that she didn't get spayed today. At first, we were worried that maybe she was too rowdy or stressed out for them to do it.

Turns out, she has already been spayed. Now, I had my suspicions about her health when we had first gotten her. Her previous owners had obviously neglected to take care of her grooming and had told us she hadn't been spayed; they didn't keep her shots up to date, despite having her for a year. They said they had found her as a stray. When I looked at her, though, her dewclaws had been removed. That's not something that you just take care of and do nothing else for the dog.

I'm thinking someone got her as a puppy and then dumped her on the streets once they realized she wouldn't stay small forever. that's when her previous owners found her and took her in for the year before they gave her to us.

Despite not being spayed, she did have a long day. She got all her shots done, plus heartworm testing (which was negative!) and a check-up. We got a great report from the nurse who turned her back over to us; she said she was very well-behaved. :D She's very tired now and has been since we picked her up; right now she's sleeping on the couch in both mine and Travis's lap.

After thinking about everything she must have been through in the past three years of her life, I'm very happy that now she's with us and has a family. She's a lucky pup and I'm so glad she's in my life now. :wub:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh my, lucky Penny, to be in a loving family now, and peeples who will spend all the time in the worrrld with you. I have to admit I'm jealous that you got to go to surgery and then NOT have to do surgery. I wish that happened to me...!
--post more pics, K? Worm

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well that turned out to be good then. Atleast some one some where decided to neauter her and whoever bred her removed those claws, I suppose.

But what a busy day she had! Sounds like some fun for her and the people at the clinic. No one can look at a basset without falling in love. Haha

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
When I looked at her, though, her dewclaws had been removed.
not all dog are born with dew claws and if removed the proper time to do it is before the dog is 3 days old so it is something the breeder would have done not a subsequent owner.

·
Registered
973 Posts
It's possible she was originally born in a shelter. All shelter dogs in Texas are required by law to be spayed and neutered before leaving the shelter. Sometimes you can get away with not doing it if the dog is under 6 months but most decent shelters will spay and neuter all dogs starting at 6-8 weeks of age.

There are purebred dogs born in shelters, often rescues from hoarders or irresponsible breeders that the state gets while the mother is pregnant.

For example at the shelter I volunteer at we recently had a litter of purebred afghan hounds that were willingly surrendered by a breeder that got in over her head, along with a handful of beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
What a lucky girl you are, Penny! Not only do you have a wonderful home now with people who LOVE you, but you also dodged the spay bullet (though you went through it before). Yay to no surgery today!!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You have wonderful parents, Penny. It's obvious they love you very much.

I guess that was a good thing she was already spayed. It saved you a little money, too, and no recovery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad all of her routine shots and heartworm testing went well. And since she didn't have to have the spay surgery, I'm sure she got lots of attention from the staff all day. I agree, EmanciPet is awesome! That is who spayed/neutered our cats, and where Molly went for her spay a few weeks ago. My husband said all the staff were oohing and aaahing over her when he dropped off. Everyone loves a cute basset!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts