Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had Bogie at the vets last week for his yearly check up, and they drew blood to check various things out. :eek: They found that he has low thyroid and now we are waiting to hear from the vet. :eek: We called to check on results and got the info from the vet tech. Our vet has been on vacation and hasn't seen the results as yet. Hopefully we'll know something soon and how to proceed.
Bogie seems fine, but we have noticed that he has slowed down some this summer. We thought it was because of the heat and humidity here in Memphis that we are all adapting to which is quiet different from those South Dakota summers we are used to. I just wondered if any of your fur kids have had thyroid problems and what was done to correct them. Bogie just turned four in April.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Neither of my hounds have had thyroid problems, but one of my brother's Dobermans did. He was lethargic, got sores that would not heal & his coat was very dull & coarse. Once he was diagnosed, he took a pill a day (can't remember what, it was awhile ago) and he was a different dog. He stayed on the medication for life & did very well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't had a basset with thyroid problems, but I have a friend with a 4yr old golden who was diagnosed last year with very low thyroid function. He's been doing great on the meds. He's back to normal energy, appetite, and his golden coat is once again soft and silky.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My Maggie Mae (ATB) was diagnosed with thyroid problems at around age 2. She took Soloxine for over 13 years and stayed on the same dosage. We had her T4 thyroid panel done twice yearly. She did well on the medication and it was very inexpensive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We had a Cocker Spaniel that had thyroid problems and we had to give him a pill a day, which he took for the rest of his life. I don't remember what the pill was but it wasn't anything expensive, very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am just curious if your vet runs "routine" thyroid panels yearly as part of your dog's checkup or was there a specific thing that led to having the test done? Such as skin or behavior issues?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I am just curious if your vet runs "routine" thyroid panels yearly as part of your dog's checkup or was there a specific thing that led to having the test done? Such as skin or behavior issues?[/b]
Becasue Murray turned 7 this year, the vet thought it was a good time to do some blood work; we never did that before as part of his yearly exam.

He says it's possible Murray's skin problems could improve after he's on the medication for awhile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thyroid problems - forms

What kinds of thyroid problems can happen in bassets?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
In dogs hyperthyrodism (overactive) is practically unheard of . So hen there is a mention of thyroid problem in dogs it is hypothyroidism.

This is general the result of genetic autoimmune response that distroys the thyroid as the dog gets older. It is realatively easy to treat but not alway easy to diagnose. Aslo hypothyrodism is associated with a number of issue one wone not typical think like agggressive behavior and siezuires. Because of the nature of hypothyroidism and often begnin symptoms it os often reccommended that it be rules out as a medical cause of aggressive behavior and siezures before other avenues are explored.

I don't thing there are any scientific indications that bassets are more prone to hypothyrodism then the average dog population,

Hypothyroidism in Dogs

Assessment of Hypothyroidism as a Factor in Behavior Problems

Medical Causes of Aggression In Dogs

BEHAVIORAL CHANGES ASSOCIATED WITH THYROID DYSFUNCTION IN DOGS

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gosh after re-reading this I realized I never updated on Bogie. It turned out he did not have a thyroid problem. All of the labs sent out that week fro the vet clinic for thyroid analysis came back with low thyroid. The vet checked with the lab since this was so unusual, and it was a lab problem with the testing. Bogie's was redone, and all is OK. Bogie is fine, and the vet is now using a different lab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts