Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woofus has been throwing up a lot lately. I started 2 weeks ago, he was not keeping anything down. On the 3rd morning he went to the vet. They took stool samples, Xrays (to make sure he didn't swallow anything metal) and they found nothing. He got some anti-nausea medicine and he's done ok for about 1 1/2 weeks. Now he's throwing up again. Any ideas? I home cook for him, and nothing's changed in his diet. It's been different batches so I'm sure nothings bad (I've been very vigilant about this). Hope someone can help poor little Woofus's tummy. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
How old is he?

I'd go back to the vet, and if they have no other ideas maybe try an endoscopy? When Copper was nine she started throwing up everything she ate, nothing showed on the x-rays but we found some nastiness with the endoscopy. However, the vet in question was fairly incompetent in my opinion (serious initial misdiagnosis, sloppy surgery, guilt tripping me into extra procedures with a dog that was clearly dying at that point).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since he's a rescue we're not exactly sure, but between 3-4 years old. This is really worrying me (and my bank account). I don't think it's his food cause he gets chicken, rice, green beans, and carrots.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Vomiting

Maggie went through a couple of weeks where she was vomiting everything she ate. The vet had me quit feeding her anything for a couple of days except plain yogurt. After a few days I started feeding her a little rice. After that she was fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlotte has gone through a cycle of vomiting recently too. There was no change in diet or anything we couldn't figure out what was wrong with her either. It was about two weeks of every other night throwing up her undigested food but the time inbetween episodes got longer and longer and she seems just fine again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just got back from a whole day at the vet. His tummy was very painful (by yelping when examined). All the signs are showing as pancreatitis but we'll get the bloodwork back tomorrow. I'll let you all know. So far this problem has cost $1000.....YIKES!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so the vet called and he tested negative for pancreatitis. They really don't know, and I hate this. Next step is an ultra-sound and a big loan from the bank. Anyone else have ideas?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is he showing any other symptoms along with the vomiting (such as evidence of joint pain/muscle weakness, lethargy)? Even though he is bringing up his food, does he still have the same interest in eating his meals, or is his appetite different?

Whatever this is that he is dealing with, I hope Mr. Woofus is better soon!!

Ooops, I somehow forgot to add this before, but this is a longshot I'm throwing out here....When I hear about a lot of unexplained vomiting, (especially if there are some other symptoms present recently), I sometimes worry about Addison's Disease.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have no idea what could be wrong but Mattie & I are sending thoughts your way for Woofus & for you you!! Hopes Woofus feels better soon!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts