Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have two Bassets at the moment, Miss Sally, 8, and Rocky, 5. We are considering adding a third to our family. Has anyone introduced a third dog to their pack? I'd be interested to hear how it went if anyone has done this.....Sally and Rocky get along OK, but I know Rocky would like a younger friend who would play with him.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I currently have four, with two seniors who enjoy their naps, and two youngsters who keep each other entertained. My dogs are fairly easy-going, like most bassets, and introducing new dogs to the household has not presented major problems. When I bring a new dog home, I usually crate the other dogs. I then bring the new dog into the house, and after showing the new dog the house a little, out into the backyard and into an ex-pen or fenced run. I let the other dogs into the yard, and all the dogs get acquainted through a fence under supervision. It's usually not a big deal to eventually open the run and let the new dog out to make friends, and most often, the new dog will follow the others' lead, in terms of using the dog door, etc.

As for how many dogs is too many dogs...obviously, finances are a major consideration, and then a person's available time and energy also need to be factored. At one point, I had five dogs, and I felt a bit stretched. However, I also know people who single-handed care for a dozen or so bassets, so it's an individual thing.

I wasn't really looking to add another dog to the household when we adopted Macy last summer, but she's been wonderful for Caper, providing her with a young playmate. Until she came, poor Caper was a kid with a bunch of grouchy seniors for company. I'll bet your younger dog would appreciate a playmate, too. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I agree with Betsy that it's a question of time, space and money.

I currently have 6 bassets & 1 foster mix. I've never had any trouble introducing the new 4-legger to the pack. But my guys are used to dogs coming and going because of the fostering I do. I introduce everyone in the front yard (2 acres) so that they can sniff each other and I can supervise.

Bassets love to be with other bassets - or at least that's my experience - and dont' seem to have a lot of probelms. But, I also know bassets that are an only dog and love being in a family with just 2 leggers.

It's hard to go wrong with a basset.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. To elaborate a bit, the dog in question is a soon to be retired show/breeding bitch from a reputable breeder here in Southern California. She would be spayed, of course. She's only three, but this breeder only allows one or at most two litters from the girls, then spays and finds pet homes. The reason I'm interested is the fact that she is well socialized and has the potential to become a therapy dog, something I've always wanted to do but never had a suitable individual. When I make a decision I'll be sure to post!

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
The reason I'm interested is the fact that she is well socialized and has the potential to become a therapy dog, something I've always wanted to do but never had a suitable individual. When I make a decision I'll be sure to post![/b]
I would recoomend a nuetral site meeting between Miss Salley and the potential new dog after she is nuetered. This is the most likely relationship to cause friction before making a commitment. A ;ot of potential problems can be avoided this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts