Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice regarding my 9 or 10 year old Basset, Lady Bug. (She's my "failed foster.") She was diagnosed (biopsy) with IBS in May after a very long string of upper and lower GI upsets. We've been able to manage it very well with a restricted diet and meds EXCEPT when she gobbles down something she shouldn't. Problem is that she is (when not in a GI upset) quite a chow hound. The last three episodes have been because she has made a snack of other dogs' poop. When she's on leash I can control this but there is a dog park near us and that's where she's been getting into trouble. Neither she nor I have a particularly good time when I follow her around the park. (Plus it means that I'm ignoring her "sis", Bess...) I'm considering putting a wire muzzle on Lady Bug. Does anybody have any thoughts as to what dangers/issues there would be with this? (The owners who bring their kids to this park are pretty watchful for bad behavior and Ms. Bug is a submissiive girl who doesn't ask for trouble. I'm thinking wire instead of mesh because she's a big panter and drinks a lot of water while at the park.)

Thanks in advance! I am generally just a lurker and was on the old forum as "Bess' Mom;" for the life of me, though, I couldn't get set up on the new boards under than username.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning is a big fan of poo, and I've thought about the muzzle issue. Knowing Lightning as I do, though, I don't think he'd let a muzzle keep him from at least trying to get at it, which would leave me with a very crappy muzzle. And I don't think he'd give up trying. He's the most stubborn dog I've ever had. (After 10 years with Invisible Fencing, he still tests the battery almost every day.) So I guess it depends on how determined Lady Bug is to get to that poo. It's a shame people don't clean up after their animals at the park. That would help a lot!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe your local council should be fining people for not clearing up after their dogs! Our council have 'undercover' workers who can stop and fine people on the spot if they see a dog owner not cleaning up, and they also provide poo bags and poo bins in lots of places, so unless there are stray dogs, it's pretty clean where we walk... whether it's the streets, parks, grassy areas or the beach so people should be forced to clear up where you live, then this poo eating woudn't happen!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the replies! I ordered the plastic Italian basket muzzle from Morrco today. It looks a little more comfortable (and lighter) than the others. Fortunately (considering...), Bug likes dried up poo so if she does try to dig in while wearing the muzzle, at least she won't get it coated quite so badly.

I'm at a loss as to why some owners don't pick up after their dogs. This isn't just limited to the dog park; I live in a condo that is adjacent to a bike path and there are piles of it scattered throughout/along both. I think the majority of owners do pick up, but it just takes a few to ruin it for everybody else. Right before my last foster Basset went "home" he found a delightful puddle of diarrhea (source appeared to be mastiff) to roll in at the same dog park. No running water. All I could do is wipe him off best I could with paper towel then put him into my car. He seemed to enjoy the "bucket bath" he got in the garage prior to coming into the house...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why are they so negligent in picking up their doggy doos? I find that shocking!!!

It gives dog owners a bad name and must look dreadful where people walk and children play!!

Someone needs to start educating these people... film them and fine them!

I hope your muzzle works Bess and Bug's Mom!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The muzzle has been working fabulously. It arrived Thursday 9/9 (just two days after I ordered it). I selected the standard size for Bassets (a 9) and the only adjustment I had to make was to poke another hole in the neck strap. (Ms. Bug does not have the huge classic knobby Basset skull like her sis does.) Lady Bug has been remarkably agreeable to wearing it. We've been to the dog park daily for the past week and have had no issues...except today when we discovered how to make poop soup. She'd apparently tried to snack on a fresh tidbit and only managed to coat the end of the muzzle with her find. Then she walked over to the community water bowl to get a drink of water, totally immersing the "frosted" end of the muzzle.:eek:

I guess where there's a will, there's a way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts