Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I dreaming, or have I seen bowls specially designed for Basset Hounds (and perhaps other dogs with long ears)? From what I remember, they were sort of triangular shaped, so that the pup's nose/mouth would fit into the bowl - but not their ears!

Poor Willow, she eats and drinks, and her ears are soooo wet!! :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just googled it because I was curious. I found some that are rectangular shaped. They are wide enough for the dog's nose and mouth but too small for the ears to fall into. They also come with a mat that keeps them from sliding around on the floor. They run about $30. I'll put the link to the website below. These are pretty neat! But I don't think I'll convince my husband to get them for our dogs. Their ears don't get super gross and no ear infections have occurred yet so I think we're ok without them.

Pet feeding bowls and pet water bowls for long-eared dogs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! This isn't what I'd seen (or dreamed LOL) before, but it does look like it'd do the trick. Poor Willow, I worry about her ears just laying in the water all the time!!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Am I dreaming, or have I seen bowls specially designed for Basset Hounds (and perhaps other dogs with long ears)? From what I remember, they were sort of triangular shaped, so that the pup's nose/mouth would fit into the bowl - but not their ears!
FWIW when searching they are general called "spaniel bowls" round but much smaller opening at the top than the base

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ringo certainly needs something like that, his ears are soaking wet after he drinks and when he eats his ears get in and they get gross mushy food on them! Sometimes when he is trying to get the last few pieces of food an ear will get in the way and he can't get the food until I move his ear!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Genius! Now I know what Fergus is getting for Christmas! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey guys! We feed Watson out of bread pans that we attached non-skid material to. They are long and narrow, keep his ears out of his food/water, and he can't push them around the kitchen. Much cheaper alternative to those fancy things!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought Snickers the long eared dog dish, but Pinkie the pekignese (alpha) always eats out of it (because she knows it's for snickers i swear). but, Snickers is not a fast eater yet. I only feed 1 cup to each dog in the evening, but they graze on it the next morning too.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I need to get new bowls for Boomer, and I like the ideas here. He has a double doggie diner, and I regret buying it. If he's not getting his ears wet, he's getting them dirty with food.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great job Mikey

The picture captures it all. Every basset needs a basset proof feeding bowl. As I'm from Brisbane QLD Australia I can't obviously recommend retailers in the states but do know that once I bought one of these it did the trick - no more food and water wet covered ears. Suggest all basset owners invest in one of these. Life is so less messier except for after they have a drink of water and as I'm sure you're all aware - watch out for the drool!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am definetely ordering those clean ear dishes tomorrow! Maybe that mat will keep our cat from playing hockey and flipping the water dish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts