Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Basset hound has a very sweet and gentle personality. This breed has a very calm demeanour that belies the inner strength hunting and tracking dog. Seeing that these dogs have a very kind personality, they are one of the most popular family dogs. The Basset hound has tremendous tolerance, and is a naturally well-mannered dog. They are very easy-going dogs.

Due to the fact that they have a very kind personality, they are very affectionate toward their owners, and get along very well with children in the family. The Basset hound is also very friendly toward other pets and dogs in the family. This breed used to be a pack animal, and part of a pack - but not an aggressive breed due to this background. They are rather loving and cuddly dogs. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Unfortunately,I have encountered a few mean ,nasty bassets,formed usually, but not always, by the owner. It can happen when an owner does not know how to deal with a dog that starts to develop aggressive tendencies as a puppy and the owner allows them to get away with or intimadate. There can be an inherited side to aggressiveness as well. So poor breeding can leave its mark too. But for the most part Bassets are exactly as you have described.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Unfortunately,I have encountered a few mean ,nasty bassets,formed usually, but not always, by the owner.
a lot of it also a lack of early socialization. dogs not exposed to something early in life are likely to react wth fear toward it later in life. Dogs that react to fear via flight from the fear/flight response are labled shy those that do not as aggressive, but most of the different reaction is from the same emotional well. I think much of the temperament difference is genetic based.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I think much of the temperament difference is genetic based.
I was actually thinking about that this weekend. As I understand it, the Basset as a working dog would not really need to be social around people it wasn't familiar with. They would live in kennels and stay with the pack, and generally interact with the pack Master and maybe a few other people, probably hunt mainly on familiar territory, so sociability with unfamiliar humans and and comfort in new situations wouldn't have been a high priority when breeding them. I suspect we are still dealing with the results of this today.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A lot of dogs that aren't good with children aren't aggressive, they just don't understand the correct way to behave. I have met a basset that isn't good with kids because he is "teethy". When he plays he bites you and jumps on you and you have to be strong enough to fight him off. This is a behavior that should've been corrected when he was a puppy. It's obvious that he isn't afraid and doesn't mean any harm. He just doesn't understand.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have met a basset that isn't good with kids because he is "teethy". When he plays he bites you and jumps on you and you have to be strong enough to fight him off.
We are working on this with Cannoli right now, she LOVES kids. Sometimes she loves them so much she knocks them down and mauls them with kisses. She also has a strong instinct to chase, so when a friends little girl was over this weekend she would run and Cannoli would chase her and bowl her over. The third leg of the rowdy pup issue is grabbing ahold of clothing and pulling you around. Whew, she'll get it but while we are working on it we've had some challenging days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts