Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Carlos ran away when my husband received a package from Fed-ex. We chased him down the street and found my neighbor was about to hit him with a stick just because he barked. Now this accident was our fault and we don't live in a dog-friendly country, but that guy does not have any right to hurt Carlos :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I probably would have hit the guy with a stick just for being so cranky. Poor Carlos!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my country, many people consider dogs as dirty creature. You should see the looks in their face when they see me walk Carlos everyday. They think dogs are disgusting. Helloooooo????? They should really look at themselves in the mirror!
My neighbors even tell their kids that dogs are dangerous and that Carlos will bite them so when the kids see Carlos they run away as if Carlos is a monster. I really don't understand what's on the adults' minds, teaching their kids to be afraid of such a sweet dog???
I tried to socialize Carlos in my neighborhood but they rejected him. Ah well. If they dare to lay their fingers on Carlos I will sue their ass! *ANGRY MOMMA*

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't know if is possible ,with the mind set they already have,could you talk to your neighbors ,without the pup present,and begin to educate them a little at least about your own dog.Letting them know he doesn't want to bite anyone ,he wants to play,he isn't dirty because you take care of him, bath him ,don't let him mess everywhere ,that you love him because he has a personality,Maybe teach him some tricks to show the kids.Just a sit and down would probably impress them.Maybe little by little they would come around.And if not it is they who are missing out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my country, many people consider dogs as dirty creature. You should see the looks in their face when they see me walk Carlos everyday. They think dogs are disgusting. Helloooooo????? They should really look at themselves in the mirror!
My neighbors even tell their kids that dogs are dangerous and that Carlos will bite them so when the kids see Carlos they run away as if Carlos is a monster. I really don't understand what's on the adults' minds, teaching their kids to be afraid of such a sweet dog???
I tried to socialize Carlos in my neighborhood but they rejected him. Ah well. If they dare to lay their fingers on Carlos I will sue their ass! *ANGRY MOMMA*
Its pretty sad but our new neighborhood is a lot like this. For about half of the complex Charlotte is the mascot and loved by all... and for the other half they cross the sidewalk to get away from her and tell their kids, in front of us, that she is a dirty animal that they aren't aloud to touch. We try and keep in mind that it is just cultural differences but its hard to wrap my mind around people not just falling head over heals for our Charlotte.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Angry momma is right!!! If I ever found someone teasing my dogs or hitting them with anything I'd probably end up in jail for assault! But you're going to be very hard pressed to change someone else's mind for them. I'm sorry your neighbors are like that though. Good luck and I hope Carlos doesn't get loose again and/or hurt because of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the supports guys... I will try to talk this through to my neighbors. Not gonna be easy since one of them tried to hit Carlos so the feud is already in the air. Wish us luck! :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
A friend of ours (well, former friend) actually sat IN MY HOUSE and teased my dog...right in front of me. This was our cockapoo Zoey. I never heard and angry growl out of her until then. I never allowed this person in my house ever again and I never will. I don't understand people and sometimes I think that dogs are the more intelligent creatures. I know the anger of watching someone mistreat my dog...something my husband and I would never do. Gilirainbow, I hope you can temper the anger long enough to confront this person rationally. I don't know if I could. And poor Carlos...all he did was run off to explore his world. How anyone can mistreat a basset is beyond me. I can't even stay angry at my 2 for more than a second.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A friend of ours (well, former friend) actually sat IN MY HOUSE and teased my dog...right in front of me. This was our cockapoo Zoey. I never heard and angry growl out of her until then. I never allowed this person in my house ever again and I never will. I don't understand people and sometimes I think that dogs are the more intelligent creatures. I know the anger of watching someone mistreat my dog...something my husband and I would never do. Gilirainbow, I hope you can temper the anger long enough to confront this person rationally. I don't know if I could. And poor Carlos...all he did was run off to explore his world. How anyone can mistreat a basset is beyond me. I can't even stay angry at my 2 for more than a second.
In high school my family had a senior boxer with severe joint problems, about 11 at the time. He could only wobble around. He meant a lot to my family and was a very sweet dog. Several years before that he defended me when a stray tried to attack me. One of my sister's high school friends had come over that day. We had a pool in our backyard. This friend PUSHED our obviously old and wobbly dog in the pool! My sister jumped in to save him (he couldn't swim even when he was young) then chased him out of our house. That friend was never allowed near our house or anyone in my family again. Boggles my mind how people can be so blatantly rude and cruel.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
OMG, Kirska, that is awful what that person did to your poor old dog!

I hope that made them think a little when they weren't allowed near your house or family again. But, I kind of doubt it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've had bassets since 1986, and never had anyone attack one. A Pitbull once tried to, scared me half to death. I've had little kids at the ball park play a little rough, but they take it in stride. I did have a basset who tried to attack a neighbor once. He was the mildest mannered basset I've ever had, and he just went nuts. I just kept him from biting the guy. Found out two days later that he was a registered sexual predator who just got out of prison. Bassets know things. I guess he smelled like a bad guy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
poor carlos, and poor you! People can be ignorant. I bet those people have never known anything about dogs, and just pass on their fears to their kids for no reason!
I would try to talk to them. At least then you are doing the right thing....but yeah, I would be an angry mama too! NO ONE had better touch MY baby!!! LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't been out of the U.S. but I have seen shows on TV and heard from people I know online that there are serious cultural differences in other countries. In many places people don't properly care for their dogs and there are literally packs of diseased and dangerous dogs wandering loose. It makes sense for parents to tell their kids not to touch dogs running loose because they are dirty and could spread disease or bite the child. Its a lot like us telling our kids not to touch wild squirrels, rabbits and raccoons. Its not ignorance, its a fact of life in some places that dogs are actually dangerous to approach.

The sensible thing to do would be to talk to the neighbors and explain that your dog is safe to touch because he is vaccinated, disease free, of sound temperament and washed regularly. If the sensible thing doesn't work....well, I'd kick the snot out of anyone who threatened or hurt my dogs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Worm is finding this thread interesting, tho kinda sad too, for the dogs who weren't treated right by people. Poor Kirska's boxer-- glad your sister saved him. CatherineM, what a smart basset you have.

Carlos-- do you know how to do "down"? I've noticed people really respond to Worm when he does "down." He is funny dog. Some people will walk past him, but when he walks towards them and then makes a gesture of deference (it's probably actually the basset protest), people seem to get attracted to that. It's like he's being submissive to them and that makes people feel more comfortable, and also feel more sorry for him, and makes them more interested in him and want to pet him... anyways, just a thought to share with you, this is something that has really worked for Worm (accidentally, 'cause I didn't make him do this) in making people feel comfortable with him. an idea that when you talk w/the neighbors, you can think about having Carlos in a "down" position, as it's not threatening and really cute in a basset... hard to resist!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kirska that was terrible :(

I've tried to talk to my neighbors. Their response was "We FORGIVE you this time, but if your dog goes unleashed again next time, we cannot guarantee what will happen to him" :eek:

Who the hell they think they are?! I didn't go there to apologize, because my dog has never hurt anyone. They also said that their religion does not allow them to touch dog. Which is weird because the vets in the clinic has the same religion with them.

Ah well, I can't force them. But I also warned them if I find them touching my dog I will sue them. Walking the dog is not fun when people are staring with hatred

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I weren't so nice I'd say my religion is to bite mean people on the ankles.
But I'm too nice to say that. So I won't.
Wait a minute... crap...
oh well. I got stuff to do

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 20 of 37 Posts