Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have adopted a 4yr old rescue Basset, she has been molting as you would expect. However her hair on her underside/underbelly is very fine to the point where you can see her skin through a viel of hair. There are no bald patches, just an even thinning.

Prior to us getting her it looks like she has been an outside dog, but now as come indoors. she is on Arden Grange (a premium brans) dry food.

Just after some idea if I am worrying unduly

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both of my dogs have very thin hair on their belly...

~Heather

·
Registered
562 Posts
I noticed after buying a new harness for my dogs that Rosco's chest hair thinned out a bit. I think it was from the rubbing because we got another new set shortly after that and it grew back in. I am a bit jealous because my own hair is thinning but the new harness didn't help me in any way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our girl Lucy's coat adjusted to the seasons. In winter, her coat was thick and furry. In the summer, her coat thinned out, especially her underside. Once when we were not being good owners and monitoring her time out in the sun, she got sunburn on her belly. She could never get herself out of the sun, even when she had access to shade, she would bake herself into a trance. We learned to limit her sun time in hot weather. Almost immediately after the first heat wave, the shedding would begin. Winter coat started coming in around the end of Oct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts