Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Never to go for a walk when on a timeline...futile and totally frustrating for both of us. I now can smell the flowers with the best of them.

2. Not to take it personally when he wants to stay with the stranger who he just met 5 seconds ago instead of going home with me. I had a hard time handling this one in the beginning.

3. Not to get embarrassed when people stop to aid my dog who is "playing dead" while on one of our walks. I have tried to explain about being a basset but very few understand.

He evidently has done a good job training me...can any of you add to the list?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
4. Always carry a hankie when your basset takes you to the park. Comes in handy for your basset's drooly mouth and for the strangers he/she slimes :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
5) Never...and I repeat NEVER leave a sandwich unguarded!

6) Don't look them directly in the eyes...They can put you under a hypnotic spell to make you think that you did not feed them.

7) Your basset will do anything for you.....as long as they think it is in their best interest.

·
Registered
767 Posts
8. Never leave anything you value less than 6 feet off the floor.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
) Your basset will do anything for you.....as long as they think it is in their best interest.
and the corollary they won't do anything for you they don't think is in their best interest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Never think you can out run your basset. They are not as slow as they look, and can corner like a sports car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
11) Never stand next to a basset after they drink from their bowl unless you are wearing a raincoat

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
13) If you try to be quiet in the kitchen while getting a snack, your basset will hear you even if s/he is outside.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
13) If you try to be quiet in the kitchen while getting a snack, your basset will hear you even if s/he is outside.
a basset can determin when you rise form a chair/coach etc within the first step if it is to go to the bathroom, refridgerator, outside or to bed and act on it accordingly.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bassets are the most snuggly of all creatures and give good slurpy kisses. Baby bassets have puppy breath of which nothing can compare .

·
Registered
54 Posts
15. Don't wast your time telling a basset "NO". They have some sort of genetic hearing loss associated with that particular word.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
a basset can detrime when you rise form a chair/coach etct withiin the first step if it is to go to the bathroom, refridgerator, outside or to bed and act on it accordingly.

True that, Mikey! I can head for bed and he is ahead of me waiting at the bedroom door. So, I try to confuse him and head for the kitchen or bathroom instead, nope, he knows!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been told a time or two that I have "something like chewed up kibble" in my ear. I have learned to check them before leaving the house. Wonder how it got there????????

·
Registered
762 Posts
Never try to take 'em on a quick trip anywhere. You will be stopped by 15k people on foot or in cars because, "That's the cutest beagle I've ever seeeen!!"

·
Registered
697 Posts
Do not feed a basset after midnight
Do not get wet unless you are prepared for the consequenses
Never put it in direct sunlight - unless it is sure it is time to wake up!

Hang on, I think Henry must be part Gremlin!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Always shut the bathroom door when you are in there. My husband had a visitor yesterday. Gandy put his feet up on the toilet while my husband was trying to use it, and the puppy got a face full. He screamed so loud that I thought he'd fallen down in there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts