Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is dying. He is in the hospital with CJD, a human form of Mad Cow Disease.

Louie is just pining him. He goes to his room, sniffs around. Last week when Pop was home, he just wouldn't leave him alone. At one point he hopped up on Pop's lap in our big arm chair. He never does that.

Now when I come home from visiting Pop, Louie is all over me, smelling away like crazy.

He sits in front of his bedroom door, and just waits...

I swear he knows something is horribly wrong.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Will the hospital allow Louie to visit your dad? It would probably make your dad feel good, and will answer some questions for Louie- I bet if you ask, the hospital will let you do this. And I am so sorry to hear this about your father. You will be in my thoughts.

[ January 27, 2006, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. I think the dogs know a lot, they just seem to sense all kinds of things. Will keep you and your dad in prayers.
Joan

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Yes, they do know. I'm keeping watch for emails regarding a very close, dear friend in CT who is nearing the end of her 2-year battle with lung cancer. Charlie has been sticking to me like a burr for the past couple of days, sensing, no doubt, that something is troubling me. Bless their little hearts.

{{{{{CMfairygodmother & Pop}}}}}

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely they do! My dad is currently in the hospital with congestive heart failure and Twinkie sniffs me up and down and cries when I get home from the hospital. If I ask her if she smells Grampy, she cries all the more. She loves her "grampy."

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. When my dad passed away, and I was crying, Ruby would come over and put her head on my lap more than normal.

It's wonderful they chose US to be in our lives.s

·
Registered
494 Posts
So sorry for all of you experiencing illness in your families right now. Shyla sends her healing drool as well. And yes, they do know! When I am sad, Shyla will sit in my lap and tilt her head back so it is on my neck and she will sit like that as long as I need her.

God bless our animals! They may not talk but they always know exactly what we need!

[ January 27, 2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Lisar4 ]

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your family right now. And I'm sure they know what is going on, we don't give them enough credit sometimes, I think.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, I think they could smell diseases and they know something was wrong.

I heard that they start training dogs to sniff out prostate cancer, urinal cancer, and all sort of cancer. They showed it on TV, they had a beagle and some sort of terrier/shepherd mix. It's not a complete 100% result, but it works good enough!
They are amazing!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a little different, but the last day we had our puppy before Diamond dog food did her in, our older Basset, who is blind and barely tolerated the puppy (then 10 months), showed great concern for the puppy. In retrospect (we didn't realize she was mortally ill yet) it was quite touching. Yes, they know things we don't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is amazing how dogs and cats both sense when things are not as they should be. And, if your father would like a visit from your pup, you should speak with the hospital about it. I work for a hospital and it is not unheard of at medical centers to arrange something if they have an area where a visit can be conducted privately and they feel the patient is up for it. My prayers for your you and your family.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your father. :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really sorry to hear about your father. I hope Louie is able to give you some comfort.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Joanne, I'm very sorry to read this. I wish I could offer you some words of comfort.

I know that these hounds can sense things. They know a lot more than we think they do. And I also know that Louie is and will be a huge source of comfort to you when you need it most...

·
Registered
773 Posts
My friend passed Friday evening. I lit a candle in her memory, and when I sat in my chair, Charlie and Edith both hopped up, too. This is extremely rare; usually, one or the other will claim me and let it go at that. But Friday evening, as dear Lib used to say, I was the meat in a basset sandwich -- and very glad for their quiet presence......

·
Registered
905 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Dad.I am sure they know that something is amiss. Apart from missing your Dad, I am sure they sense the emotions from you too.

Aruuuu, so sorry about your friend but glad that Edith&Charlie could give you their own special brand of comfort.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
For the few days that our dachshund Gretel was hospitalized before she died, her brother Hansel paced, was nervous and depressed, wasn't interested in his food. So we decided to take Hansel to see her- she was attached to an IV, but I held her in my arms while Paul brought Hansel in. They both perked up, wagged tails and touched noses. And that was it. Gretel died 3 hours later, but after that visit, Hansel was no longer anxious- seeing her seemed to answer some questions for him, and honestly seemed to give him some peace with the situation.So I think you are all right, they definitely do have understanding of illness and sadness and death. And Aruuuu, I am glad you have Charlie and Edith right now for comfort.Condolences.

[ January 29, 2006, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts