Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there have been topics about our sweet babies helping us through a rough time but I just had to add my experience. My husbands nephew was killed 6 weeks ago and his sister is having a terrible time dealing with her loss. Her daughter was married on saturday so she was feeling sad about being alone and the fact that her son wasn't there for the wedding. Well my husband and I went to see her yesterday and took Copper with us. I wasn't really sure about that because my Copper is a barker at anyone other than us. My husband said that they would get a kick out of him so off we went. When we got there my husband went inside and me and Copper sat in the swing. When they came out Copper went up to her and sat down in front of her. She sat in the swing and patted his head for a long time. He did a couple of roll arounds on his back and chased a couple of flies and generally amused her for about an hour. He never once barked,he was a perfect gentleman(until the ride home then he barked out the window at everyone we passed). She told us as we were leaving that he made her day. I was very proud of my boy .

·
Registered
782 Posts
The healing power of dogs never ceases to amaze me. They seem to have a 6th sense of when people need a gentle, affectionate touch. Good for Copper!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
So sorry about your husband's nephew, how dreadful!

My husband had some mild strokes in August, follwed by a kidney removal. It was a long, tough six weeks, and I don't know how I'd have gotten through it all without Charlie and Edith Ann. It's amazing how comforting it is to have a chin resting on your knee, or to be the meat in a 'Basset Sandwich' while sitting to watch t.v. I'd be lost without my dogs right now.......

·
Registered
608 Posts
Such sad news about your nephew.

I think with a basset's sad eyes and the way they look right into yours, as if they understand exactly how you feel, does have a calming effect on people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts