Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dogs anyone, do therapy work with their basset? I was thinking of trying that with Lily. she is starting to become so affectionate and I like the idea of combining my love of dogs with helping people.
My bulldog is too indifferent and the retreiver, too much of a spaz.

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Harley Chick did take the test, and passed it. Even the part about ignoring the treat on the floor. :eek: The group I contacted did not have much activity in my area, so I didn't pursue it. Their requirements were pretty hard to follow; I don't remember them all, but a bath before each visit was one of them.

Seems like a good idea, so I hope you go for it!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I did a little bit of visitation back in the dark ages before TDI certification. The dogs loved it and the patients/residents loved it. Only mishap we has was when I didn't watch Watson carefully enough and he scarfed someone's muffin......

·
Registered
622 Posts
Winnie is not "certified' but has spent his entire life visiting at a nursing home, and a residential school for exceptional children/young adults. I truely think some hounds are naturals. Without being taught Winnie automaticly sits at a wheelchair and my wild child is as gentle as a lamb with children, oldsters and the physically disabled

Judy

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info. We seem to have several active groups in our area and I have just been waiting for Lily to get the last of her shots so I can enroll her in a basic class to get her started. we work at home with sit, stay, come and heel. and she has the hang of sit and almost the knack of heel, the rest are still a mystery to her but whe is trying. She can be such a love and people really seem to respond in a positive way with bassets. Another thought I had is that my church does a lot of great outreach programs but they all seem to be during times when I am at work. I thought I might try to get something started with some of the organizations that our church deals with as well. Just would like to make some people smile and brighten their day somehow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Milissa,

You can also contact some of the nursing homes/hospitals in your area. Not all require that a dog be certified to come for a visit. :) If you could find one, you would be able to see if its something Lily likes to do before you go through all of the classes.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wouldn't recommend bringing Lily to a nursing home without some advanced preparation. Though I'm sure she certainly has the potential to be an excellent Therapy Dog, a visit to a nursing home without adequate training in various settings, could be more than she can handle and end her Therapy Dog Career before it gets off the ground. You want her first visit to be a posiitve experience. Here are some suggestions for Helping Your Dog Get Ready for Therapy Work. Continue doing your homework as you've started doing here to insure that you both get started on the right track.

Many people get their dogs certified through the national organizations only because of the insurance protection. That is a perfectly legitimate reason.
Another reason for checking into things before making that visit.

Roady has made numerous visits to schools, nursing home and state hospitals but only after completing basic obedience and earning his CGC. But what's more important than a well-trained dog is one with a rock solid temperment.

Enjoy! :)

A

·
0 Posts
If you're certified through TDI or the Delta Society (a much better program, more intensive training and testing. I've done both) you are covered by their insurance. Even traveling to and from the facility. The Delta Society requires you bathe the dog before every visit and the dog has to be inocculated annually. Which is why Molly's certification is expired. Only about 30% of all dogs that take the training pass on the first try with the Delta Society (we did!). Good luck and good for you! Belinda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts