Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Philly Dawg

Quote from Sept 13th article "NY Kennel Owner..." :

"Yoder said he created an airtight chamber out of a wood whelping box (where nursing puppies are typically housed with their mothers) by fitting the opening with a metal door with a small hole for an exhaust pipe which was attached to a 3 horsepower farm engine.
Then he gassed "approximately" 78 adult dogs and 15 puppies in groups of five or six. Yoder said he left the barn during the gassing because he had a headache from the fumes. He also said he used a stethoscope to make sure the dogs had stopped breathing before burying them, according to the inspection report.
It is against federal law for a licensed kennel owner to perform their own euthanasia. The inspector, Andrea D'Ambrosio, also noted that dogs not immediately gassed likely suffered from inhaling the excess fumes.
"The manner of mass euthanasia caused potentially high levels of behavioral stress and unnecessary discomfort to all the dogs in the kennel," the report said.
Mary Anne Kowalski, a board member of the Seneca County SPCA, said she was not aware of anyone from the USDA reporting what she believes is a clear case of animal cruelty to local authorities.
The dogs were killed sometime after a June 29 inspection where Yoder had been ordered to get his dogs tested and treated for Brucellosis (after earlier tests indicated some of his dogs had the contagious disease) and before the inspector returned on July 15.
The case bears an eerie resemblance to the 2008 mass shooting at a Berks County, Pa., kennel after the owner was told to treat his dogs for flea infestation. That incident helped propel the passage of the new state dog law and the immediate prohibition of euthanasia by any means other than by a licensed veterinarian.
Romulus, located 60 miles southeast of Rochester in Seneca County, may have been the first municipality in the nation to ban puppy mills when it passed an ordinance last year outlawing commercial kennels.
Seneca County has a sizeable Amish population, and many are involved in dog breeding, Kowalski said. Yoder, who is Amish, bred poodles, Bichons, Maltese and Boston Terriers. He was allowed to continue operating his kennel in Romulus despite the ban because it was grandfathered under the new ordinance."

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand how we can give our mass murderers the decency of an injection (or life in prison) but not our unwanted dogs.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you've been around this board for any length of time you know how I feel about puppymills. The industry is based on greed, and dogs are nothing more than a commodity. I posted the link to the Philly Dawg article because I think it illustrates this mentality pretty well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you've been around this board for any length of time you know how I feel about puppymills. The industry is based on greed, and dogs are nothing more than a commodity. I posted the link to the Philly Dawg article because I think it illustrates this mentality pretty well.
I am with you there. Our best guess at Anabelle's past is she was either used in a puppy mill, or bought from that puppy mill and used by a backyard breeder. She was shot and abandoned not far from a puppy mill that was raided a year or two ago that included basset hounds with her same coloring and her belly was so stressed from puppies she was dragging on the ground, injuring her skin pretty badly. We think that because she was so old they were done with her.

They have no regard for their well-being or health. They just use them for profit like a machine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow I'm just completely speechless. Someone should put him in this same chamber and turn on the engine. Then maybe no more animals need to be tortured by him cause people like this will just do it again and again until they are stopped. Oh I need to get vet care... I'll just toss the animal out like garbage... I can get another one. UGH! Makes you hate people some times.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Dogs who have the misfortune to be in a puppymill do not have a happy life and often they have a very unpleasant death. What few laws there are to protect are not enforced. And if they are it is little more than a slap on the wrist. There is too much money invovled in the mills to get the millers to voluntarily make conditions better. Slowly the laws are changing - but it takes more than laws, it takes educating the public.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.