look at the heart on her side:

So will Felix the Fennel:

Berit the Bean:

Little grumpy faced Kalle the Turnip:

Goran the Cucumber:

Verner the Garlic:

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
662 Posts
OMG they are absolutely georgeous!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
They're so handsome! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
New question... what's a crown? :huh:
[/b]
9,000.00 SEK
Sweden Kronor = 1,238.06 USD
United States Dollars
1 SEK = 0.137562 USD 1 USD = 7.26946 SEK
[/b]
So, one of Ann-Britt's puppies would cost you $1240, if I'm reading this right! Probably about the same as a quality bred pup in the US?

But aren't they worth every penny? They're gorgeous!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So, one of Ann-Britt's puppies would cost you $1240, if I'm reading this right! Probably about the same as a quality bred pup in the US?

But aren't they worth every penny? They're gorgeous!!
[/b]
Thanks! And yes, they are worth that and more! B) And they ARE gorgeous!

I'm not sure what a well-bred Basset goes for in the US - it probably varies from region to region, and may also depend on the bloodline, as well. My Moe was a pound-puppy, and the product of a BYB, so I really have no clue what the cost of a Basset from a breeder is. Although Moe initially cost us $40, in the end he was not a financial bargain :eek: - but he's priceless to me! :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those pups are so gorgeous, they're double that!

The heart on Miss Tomato is wonderful!

Made my day!

Thank you, Steinar!

(& Ann Brit!)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As well as you will find some of the worst bred bassets in US, you will also find
some of the finest. We have seen a lot of examples here lately, Patti's couple
is wonderful. So I would say getting on from Europe is like crossing the creak to get water......

Just don't buy puppies from petshops or back-yard breeders, adopt from a rescue
or buy a quality puppy from a resposible breeder.

But I have to admit that I love Ann-Britt's dogs of course - having had two and met so many! :D

--------------------

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
... So I would say getting on from Europe is like crossing the creak to get water......

[/b]
:lol: :lol: :lol: Stienar, you have a way with words! :lol: :lol: :lol:

From reading here over the years, I get the general impression that Bassets are more plentiful in the US. Is this a true impression? And, if so, is it because Puppymills and BYBs are more of a US problem? Are Puppymills and BYBs as prevelant in other countries as well? Or are the combined vices of greed and cruelty more of an American problem? Or perhaps our laws allow these problems to flourish here? Just curious...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
From what I've read elsewhere, there is not a big problem with a stray/shelter dog population in (some) of the countries that restrict spay/neutering in dogs. However, there is a big stray cat problem, and spay/neutering of cats is not prohibited.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Scandinavia you can only buy a puppy from a breeder,
and very often you have to wait for it. And the breeder will
make sure that the buyer is suitable to own a dog. And if any
problem, the breeder will take the puppy back. And a puppy
is costly, nothing you would buy on impulse.

Almost every basset puppy for sale comes from champion
parents, often will 50% or more of the ancestors be champions.
The demand isn't so big, so just the best fe/males will be used
in breeding. And it's not just exterior, but also genetic diseases
disqualify from breeding.

I would say that selling pets in shops, is probably the biggest
mistake you do in US, and you should also clean up the back-
yard breeders. But everything is so big in USA, so our way of
doing things cannot always be copied.

--------------------

·
Registered
782 Posts
Boy, those are stunning puppies!!!
I say HEAR! HEAR! regarding backyard breeders and pet shop pups. While I love Franny to death and we're truly a pack of two, the heartache of owning a pet with a chronic medical problem is intense, whether it's glaucoma or hips, or whatever. Leave breeding in the hands of serious people who breed top quality dogs with known histories.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sometimes I forget how small some countries are compared to ours. It's not a bad thing, being small. We in the US have so many rights and freedoms, but they get abused and twisted by selfish people to suit thier own needs and wants. Try to change things for the better and someone will scream that you are infinging on thier right to ______ (fill in the blank). Sometimes I think I'd be willing to give up some of those rights and freedoms just to live in a place where the guilty are punished and the innocent are protected and safe (people and domestic animals).

Anyways, on a lighter note and back to the subject of the post - those pups are just too beautiful! I am partial to the boys. Any one of them would do... I just have a soft spot in my heart for the males. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
As well as you will find some of the worst bred bassets in US, you will also find
some of the finest. We have seen a lot of examples here lately, Patti's couple
is wonderful. So I would say getting on from Europe is like crossing the creak to get water......

Just don't buy puppies from petshops or back-yard breeders, adopt from a rescue
or buy a quality puppy from a resposible breeder.

But I have to admit that I love Ann-Britt's dogs of course - having had two and met so many! :D
--------------------

[/b]

i definitely see what you mean, because in my search, i've definitely come upon some beautiful Bassets in the U.S. worthy of any European ones. however, i've noticed that in Europe they breed them much larger - and so it seems like if i wanted a large one (built like Emma :D ) I'd have to go to Europe. no?

as far as BYB in the U.S. versus Scandanavia, i wonder if land is cheaper in rural America and if that has anything to do with it? just a guess because it seems like there's a lot of idiots in America who think because they have a few acres of land that they're qualified to breed Bassets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts