Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Oct.29th,2005 Pinehawk's Little Ike got his first placing in a AKC Field Trial.On Nov.10th,2007 he got his last placing in the open class.A total of 23 placings later and a Hunting Hound Title. He is now known as Field Champion Pinehawk's Little Ike,H.H. i've had a lot of fun running him the last 2 years and he always gave me the best performance that he could give. Only one time has he made second series and never placed,when he got called back he was damn near a lock to place.He is the First Field Champion to come out of my kennels ,but sadly he maybe the last as i feel the field trialing sport for Basset Hounds is up against the ropes and about to be knocked out due to lack of interest by hound owners.At least i have Beagles to fall back on as i have added a new one to the kennel and i feel he could be a real good one,and will give me a nice brace of beagles to hunt over,plus with Ike in the pack to help out how lucky i feel to be this Blessed!!! Enjoy your holidays and enjoy your hounds. Billy Milko Pinehawk Kennels

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Congrats to you and Ike! Wonderful!! Is it true that altered Beagles can compete for Field Champion titles?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I feel the field trialing sport for Basset Hounds is up against the ropes and about to be knocked out due to lack of interest by hound owners.[/b]

You and Dean and Tim Bishop do a good job of trying to get people on this board interested in the sport, and a few of us have shown up at basset events and checked them out- it sounds like Pinkwhip is pretty serious about training one of her dogs-

But around here hunting with beagles has always been a part of the culture; you don't see many folks hunting with bassets. So maybe that's a factor?

Congratulations on Ike's title!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Billy don't give up on Basset field trials yet. It may be going that way with the AKC trials, But the AHBA is still growing. I know it is two different formats and I don't want to debate witch one is better. This year we got three new clubs started and we are still growing. We need a NJ State rep If you are up for the task give me or Dean a call. We would love to get a club in NJ started.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Neutered hounds can not compete in AKC field trials -- they can enter AHBA rabbit HUnts and bench shows --The field trial season may have ended, but there should be an AHBA hunt at Elizabeth town beagle club on Dec 15 and another on the 16th
Beagles became the rabbit hound of choice probably due to size and availability -- bassets eat more, but they have better noses. Beagles are fine rabbit hounds, but I'll stick to my bassets

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Congratulations on the Field Championship and the Hunting Hound title. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the congrats ,but all the credit goes to Ike.he's the one that ran the rabbits not me.Tim i'm far from giving up yet,just might try to give the beagles more time this year than the Bassets. there is to me no debate on AKC/AHBA,they both have their good points and their bad points,but i just like the one on one aspect of the Brace trials a little more.Dean always said there will never be a perfect system. I was a NJ State Rep. for about 2 years,than the board i believe only wanted one from each state so i stepped down because Ben had been the Rep. longer than me,plus my wife was having some MAJOR problems medically.I just don't have the desire to be to involved if i can help it,with other things going on in my life with the kids and their sports. good thing about trial/hunt season is it ends right when wrestling season starts,cuts into my hunting time but its great to see the kids doing their thing.I'll have to check the schedule to see if i can make Elizabethtowns hunts,i would like to get there with my potlicker Ike and let him run some more rabbits.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i want to make it one day at least myself Tim. i just love that area of Penn. anyway so it will be hard for me to turn it down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Okay, Peeps, it can't end now!!!! I'm just getting started.

Yeah, big time, to Ike - that rocks - the Bun-i-nator aspires to follow in his footsteps - although she will be sticking with AHBA since she is sans ovaries.

Who is coming to the AHBA on Dec. 15 & 16?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts