Basset Hounds Forum banner

The semi-blind leading the totally-blind.

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Wworm 
#1 ·
Seeing so many beautiful dogs pass recently has made me sad and fear for my own old guy– although I have to laugh at Opus and his continued nonchalance as his systems slowly shut down. We can put hearing onto his list of things that don't appear to be working as they used to do. And his right hip is beginning to go.
Intellectually I keep telling myself this is how it must be, he's had 15 years of a fine old life, but it still doesn't stop me from tearing up at the thought of losing him.
But then there are days like today, which he spent scoffing chicken bones and port salut, snoozing in my office and wandering about the garden with a cat chum in the sunshine. As long as his life is lived well, he will never be anything other than loved.
I'm so sorry for everyone who has lost their beloved bassets recently, and think of you often.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is heartbreaking reading stories about people who have lost their beloved bassets. Mine is almost 3 now and I don't take a single day for granted. I know their time with us is short, we must live it to the fullest.

Your picture is absolutely adorable. They look like the best of buds.

#3 ·
Even when they are at their most frustrating, as mine have been lately, I know there will come a day when I'd give anything to see them do these things again. It's so easy to take things for granted and the stories of the bassets who have left us recently remind me of how precious each day is with mine.

Opus sounds like a happy guy. He doesn't think of the day that he won't be here anymore, but instead lives his life happily each day. That's a good lesson he's giving you (and all of us). Enjoy each day to your basset fullest. It's all we can ask for.

BTW, Opus, you're a very good looking boy!!

#4 ·
What a beautiful basset. I’m so sorry about Opus. There have been entirely too many lost of late. A couple weeks ago I was afraid to come onto this site myself because I knew I didn’t have it in me to see what was going on. I just don’t understand and never will why they get so few years to spend with us. It’s just not enough.

It sounds like you’re doing as I did for my Flasher – enjoying every day you can with him one day at a time. Every night I would say a thank you God for giving me another day and every morning I woke I would say another thank you for letter her wake next to me.

I pray that every day he has left and who knows – could be many many to come – be pain free never knowing what is happening to him. And for you to have the strength to let him go when it’s his time. It’s the hardest gift we ever have to give the ones we love the most. And God does it hurt.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} to you and I’m here if you ever need anything.

Jen~

#5 ·
Oh golly, I totally know there are days when you think 'argh', but I've been so blessed with this animal, this flesh and blood companion. I said to someone recently that when he has the odd accident in the house, or fails to do something in some way, I also think of the times he stood by me shoulder to bassety shoulder, who lay his chin on my lap when I was blue, who loved me without condition and I think how lucky I am that I still have one of these ridiculous, loving, amazing creatures in my life.
I guess I'm just trying to make sense of his gentle winding down, and want to honor him in a way while he is still here. Sorry guys, I don't want to be down, I just love this old boy so much.

#7 ·
Awww, I love that picture. Despite knowing what was to come, Sadie & Spencer's senior years were my favorite time of their lives. There's just something about an old dog that knows the ropes, is settled, content & set in his/her ways that worms into my heart. Spencer went to the Bridge a year ago yesterday (Friday). Sadie's been gone 5 years. It's hard to believe. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them.

#9 ·
You folks always bring tears to my eyes.....such loving wonderful people....and that picture with Opus and his best feline friend is truley priceless....we are so blessed to have these wonderful animals in our lives..my sister who lost her husband and best friend recently made the comment that everyone should be loved like a dog...who else is so excited when you walk thru that door whether it's five minutes or five days, you know their world is complete when they are with us...they ask for so little and give us so much (love, comfort, companionship, laughter and tears)...I know that I cherish every moment with my guy and thanks to you folks, really appreciate the time I have with him...

~Kristi
proudly rescued by Woodrow Hayes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.