Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you all for your kind thoughts regarding Lucy. I'm just glad it started while I was at home, otherwise she could have suffocated. Instead I was able to give her some relief and comfort, and send her off peacefully.

Lucy last summer at the Basset Specialty:

Lucy at home

The Power of the Dog
by
Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passsion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank for sharing that beautiful poem and pictures of Lucy (tears falling now.......) I had to make that hard decision March 1st and you are right, it tears your heart into little pieces but it is the right thing to do. RIP sweet Angels Lucy and my boy Bentley

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thank you for the pictures of Lucy. She looks like she had a full and love filled life. She looks so content to just stand in the sun in that first picture. And the poem made me tear up for sure.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Lucy was a beautiful girl. The first picture of her is wonderful, like she is just enjoying life.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What a doll, she looks very happy. I'm afraid to read the poem at work!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
what a grand old gal she was! I hope Austin and Lulu have made their way over to her at the bridge to give a snooter kiss. We'll all be together someday.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I feel like that poem was quite bitter...but it's true. I know when Bowser leaves me there will be a tear in my soul that I never knew could happen. I love him like he was my own child, fur and all. I had him too young, and was up with him every two hours each night for weeks. He bonded and attached to me and I haven't spent more than a few hours away from him each day since. He's the most special loving animal I've ever had the pleasure of being around...and I've had a lot of animals of all kinds!
I'm glad you were there for her in the end...you took care of her and helped her let go...there's no need for them to suffer..they are a ball of trusting love wrapped in (sometimes smelly) fur. I don't envy you this time that I know I will face someday. I can't help but think selfishly of how much I love my own little one and I grieve for you because i Know you feel the same about yours, each and every one.
*hugs*
When we open ourselves up to love, we are vulnerable to pain...but I wouldn't give up making my pup happy for anything in the world...so be proud of the life you gave her!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Lucy was such a beautiful girl! I'm so glad she had such a wonderful life and was loved from the moment she came into the world. Having dogs my whole life, I've experienced the pain and grief from losing a beloved animal. However, I have and will gladly give my heart over and over again to my dogs. The brief periods of loss and grief are nothing compared to the love and affection they give to us over their lives. And to me it's totally worth it!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww it's so nice to see pictures of your gorgeous Lucy and she will be so much missed,
and you have your happy memories of your lovely girl. xx

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm so sorry that you lost your beautiful Lucy. These hounds sure do tear up our hearts when they leave us. Thanks for sharing her pictures.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I understood when my mom lost her 15 year old dog but I was clueless until my 17 year old Springer Spaniel died on Feb. 22, 2010. Boomer came to me when my children were young, he could run like the wind and the kids had enough energy to wear him out. He left me when I was a grandmother. He was so weak that I had to carry him to the yard to do his business. I'm sure it is hard when a young pet dies but when we lose these old souls we lose a part of our life and our heart. Dogs must go to heaven and wait patiently by the gate for us because it couldn't be heaven without our dogs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thank you for posting her pictures. She was quite a lovely hound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts