Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Bogart, AKA: Bogie Carter, swallowed two buttons on Tuesday morning. :( He got to one of my little snowmen that I have on display on our staircase. We were eating breakfast when he proudly trotted in carrying a stuffed little snowman minus his hat buttons, wreath, and stick arms. The remains of the arms and wreath were in the middle of the den minus the two buttons, one which was about 1" across.

Remember this is the rock eating Basset that has had two surgeries for rock eating. After the last surgery the vet told us that if he ate anything odd to feed him lots of bread. The bread would usually bind around foreign objects and if passable you would soon find them in several days. So we started feeding his two slices of bread with his regular meals, plus two slices at noon and bedtime, 8 slices per day. Then we went on :blink: "poop detail" :blink: taking him out on the leash. :D Finally on Friday (yesterday) he produced the two buttons. :D

We were so relieved!! So remember the "power of bread" !

The little snowman is the one in the middle with the scarf and wreath. He ate the two buttons on the hat.
We think Bogie took his nose while on the stairs and flipped him to the floor.

I'm really sorry, Mom. I promise to be a good boy!! Can Santa still come?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The bread remedy often works for dogs who snack on glass tree ornaments, too!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mr. Bogart sure is a handful!! Boy is he handsome!! I think he is very sorry and Santa should definitely bring him a sack full of presents. I never heard that about bread. I will have to remember that seeing Rusty had the famous rock surgery :blink:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Glad to hear Bogie is okay! He is sooooooo handsome! I am sure Santa is going to bring him gifts, after all who could resist that face! :D That's a great tip about the bread.
Oh, I love all the stuffed animals in the background! Cute!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I never heard of such a thing! What a wonderful thing to know! I wonder how many other incredibly useful bits of knowledge are out there that I haven't heard? I wonder if we couldn't pin a permanent first-aid and preventative measures topic on the health forum for people to consult when faced with situations like this one? Not to replace vetinary advice or care, of course, but it would be very handy to help treat minor things before they become a NEED for emergency vet care...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh--anybody can look at Mr. Bogart and tell that he did not do anything really 'wrong'---it was just one of those Holiday things.
He and Rusty are just Rock Biters--that's all!
don

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I never heard of such a thing! What a wonderful thing to know! I wonder how many other incredibly useful bits of knowledge are out there that I haven't heard? I wonder if we couldn't pin a permanent first-aid and preventative measures topic on the health forum for people to consult when faced with situations like this one? Not to replace vetinary advice or care, of course, but it would be very handy to help treat minor things before they become a NEED for emergency vet care...[/b]
I think that would be a good idea to pin a first aid topic. I am sure we could all get some very useful tips like this one from BubbaLeroy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That would be nice , Grace chomped down on a glass santa yesterday and was walking around with a piece of glass in her mouth. I got it but helpful hints would be helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts