Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night during "girls night" my mother called me (in itself was odd, she never calls when America's Next Top Model is on). She told me that a friend of ours dog (a basset hound) had been hit by a car and died. This lady is an animal lover to the extreme. Everything is about those dogs. One of her dogs died last year and she wears the ashes in a locket around her neck. She let her dogs outside in the back yard and apparently Goob got out some how. They couldn't find him anywear and called animal control. Their response was "we're closed." They did end up calling her back to let her know that one of their officers had picked up a dead basset hound. They looked at his tags and it was a match. This particular basset hound is THE basset hound that got me hooked on bassets. It was because of this hound that I ended up with my 2. It was so sudden that Goob was taken from this earth, and though he wasn't mine...I feel just as sad. Here is a picture of my 2 and my friend's 2 dogs. If you go left to right we have : Gibbs and Lily (my 2) then Goob (poor boy) and Charles.

~Heather

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's terrible. This happened to me only a few months ago. The frustrating part is looking for and being unable to find the dog within just minutes of having it leave. There's at least one website for assisting in finding lost dogs, but it is not really helpful for finding the dog in the immediate time frame - which turns out to be the critical period. If your dog is properly tagged and chipped, if it is found you'll get it back. But none of that helps if it is run over in the first few hours after leaving. What's really needed is a sort of Amber Alert for lost dogs. Of course you can't have this on national TV, but my thought is that dog owners would sign up to receive alerts by cell phone and email for dogs lost in their area. At least they could then have this in the back of their minds when they see a strange dog go down their street. Part of the tragedy of losing my dog was that a neighbor (and dog owner) who lived just three blocks away (but did not know us or my dogs) saw my dogs go past her house just minutes after they got out. She and her husband thought about grabbing them but for some reason did not. Of course at that point I did not know the dogs were gone and could not have sent out an alert, but you get the point.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Oh, this is so sad! I am very sorry for you and your friend!
I have seen dogs running loose in our neighborhood many times and if I know whose dogs they are I will take them home. A couple months ago I found two dogs running in my yard and I didn't know who they belonged to. One of them was not so friendly but the other one came right up to me. I was able to lure them to the fenced portion of my yard and called the non emergency number for the police. The police were not able to capture the one dog but once they got the first dog in the car the second one just jumped right in with his buddy! I felt really bad but I didn't know what else to do, didn't want to leave them running around because I felt sure that it was only a matter of time before they got hit by a car. Of course one has to be careful because you never know how strange dogs might react. I never did find out whose dogs they were so I guess they were from another neighborhood.
We have front and back gates and I get really pissed when people don't close them properly! More than one person has heard the riot act about closing the gates. Those gates are there for the safety of my dogs!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We have front and back gates and I get really pissed when people don't close them properly! More than one person has heard the riot act about closing the gates. Those gates are there for the safety of my dogs![/b]
When I got Murray 5 years ago my step daughter, who was a teenager at the time and living at home with us, would leave the backyard gate open on a regular basis. I got a call at work one day that our old dachshund Hansel was wandering down the street! That was the end- I went to the hardware store and bought a heavy chain and a padlock- no one has access to the backyard now unless we're home-

Nothing can be 100% safe, and some tragedies are unpreventable no matter how hard you try, but I feel alot better with the lock on our gate.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
When I got Murray 5 years ago my step daughter, who was a teenager at the time and living at home with us, would leave the backyard gate open on a regular basis. I got a call at work one day that our old dachshund Hansel was wandering down the street! That was the end- I went to the hardware store and bought a heavy chain and a padlock- no one has access to the backyard now unless we're home-

Nothing can be 100% safe, and some tragedies are unpreventable no matter how hard you try, but I feel alot better with the lock on our gate.[/b]
I didn't mean to imply that these type of accidents are preventable because they are not since people are always coming and going, service people, mail people etc. All we can do is try our best to keep our pets safe. That is why I get so mad when people leave our front gate open, it is not the type of gate you can put a lock on, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that these type of accidents are preventable because they are not since people are always coming and going, service people, mail people etc. All we can do is try our best to keep our pets safe. That is why I get so mad when people leave our front gate open, it is not the type of gate you can put a lock on, unfortunately.[/b]
I agree with you- last month, a houseguest opened our front door without noticing that our dachshund Minna was standing there, and she ran out the door! I had my pajamas on and chased her halfway down the driveway before I caught her-it was 7am but I think some of our neighbors got quite a show with me chasing Minna in my flannel PJ's! Despite our best efforts, things like that can happen in a heartbeat-

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since this happened my husband and I have been checking our gate like crazy. As a matter of fact today after my husband left for work he called to have me check the gate. I always worry because the neighborhood kids are really comfortable with my dogs so I worry that they may try to let them out. Of course the dogs are only out when someone is home, but obviously that doesn't matter. My friend Helena doesn't know how Dodger got out...she couldn't find in her yard where he got out. I suppose we all just try our best to keep our dogs safe, but you can never be certian.

~Heather

·
Registered
465 Posts

Nothing can be 100% safe, and some tragedies are unpreventable no matter how hard you try, but I feel alot better with the lock on our gate.[/b]

Yep! We have three gates on our fenced in yard. I have padlocks on each one. No one can even come to our back door unless through the garage, because the doggie door is on the back door. My husband complains when he has to unlock the gate to bring the lawn mower through, but the safety of my dogs is more important than some inconvenience. You can't count on what children will do (yours or other people's) and if they happen by and see a cute dog, they are apt to go in, and out the dog goes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heather,
So sorry to hear that story. It's one of my worst fears since we live off a very busy street in VA Beach (Indian River Rd.). I also know how animal control can be here. I'm sure we all do our best to protect our fur babies and sometimes it just isn't enough.

Deb

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am so sorry. What an awful accident. It can happen to anyone, anytime. My roommate got sick week before last and had to dial 911 (she's Type I diabetic and was crashing, near diabetic coma). The EMTs accidentally let the dogs out when they came in (they are concerned about people, not dogs) and both of them escaped and were running in the street. I live on a very, very busy street in Washington, DC. Neighbors were trying to catch them and one of my neighbors called me at work. I left immediately and rushed home, frantic. Thank doG neighbors caught them both, read their tags and brought them home before I got there. These things are simply accidents and as hard as we try to always keep them safe, accidents do happen. I will be thinking of and praying for you and your friend.

On a happier note, I am glad Lucien got to have one last adventure before his trip to the Bridge on Saturday. He escaped 3-4 times while he was here and was always so proud of his adventures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts