Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally we were able to open the Orienteering season 2006!

We always start under an upside-down tree. It's a strange thing, growing with the root in the air and the branches and leaves under the ground. If you stand under the big root, you will increase your brain activity, making it easier to find directions.

Many of the participants will use map, some will use compass too, others will even use GPS! We don't do that! The first check points are named A-E, and therefore I will bring letters with me. Emma is best with numbers, but Doris is best with letters, so I show her an "A". Then it's just to let her get to a high point where she can sniff in the letters:

Then her nose leads us over a moor, under a branch, over a hill. Her we have to pass troubled water:

Then suddenly, she's led us to the control point "A"! She's a genius:

Spring flowers are coming up through yesteryear's leaves:

Sometimes we meet natives deep into the forest. This couple had been hiding since the German invation in 1940, and they were very happy when we told them the war was over and they could come out:

When you're used to be in the forest, you will find cover everywhere, and a place to eat elsewhere. Here we found a natural place to sit down, logs had probably been falling accidentally, but shaped a fully functional place to sit:

Who know who you can dump into deep in the forest! I met My son and grandson there:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wonderful as always, Steinar! I get a real kick out of the stories you add to the pictures. :D

From the looks of Emma, orienteering season has come none too soon. Sorry for saying so, but it looks like she gained a few kilos of winter weight, I'm sure your forest adventures will slim her down in no time!
(No offense intended, hope it didn't come off that way.) :oops:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Steinar, beautiful pictures as always. Looks like everyone is having a wonderful time, and NO SNOW!!!!! We South Dakotans know how great it is to get to be outside in warmer weather without slogging through snow. Being a wildflower lover I have to ask, "What is the pretty little blue flower in the leaves?"
Keep us posted on the girls adventures.

Aroooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Congratulations on finally getting rid of your snow and getting started on your orienteering season.

Bet the girls were all ready to go!!

Thanks fro sharing your "quest".

·
Registered
484 Posts
To Bubba Leroy: The tiny blue flower is called "blueveis" in Norwegian . It is a small anemone (Anemone Hapatica). It can also come in red and white, du to different things in the soil. It is found in southern parts of Norway. Not up here in Sogn I am afraid.
It is one of the very first wild flowers that brave spring.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Love the story! Will Emma be the tracker when the check points have numbers? :) We need a better picture of that grandbaby so we can see how much he's grown!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Orienteering Pics

Oh Steiner, I got so excited over you post I called to my husband to tell him to come look that is was Orieteering season again in Norway. we always enjoy your adventure so much!
The ladies are looking lovely as ever!
Good luck this season!
Is your grandson walking yet?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all nice comments! :)

This is a better picture of my grandson. Funny that three generations met deep into the forest.
Andreas will be a year in June, and he's almost walking
without assistance.

You have to excuse my son, he's sleep walking...

If you want to see more pics, and pics from last year, you can go to Emma and Doris webpage:

http://basset-hound.no/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts