Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got Bowser, it was between him and his brother, both of whom liked me and put their heads in my lap...the decision maker was the nose....The cute special pink nose that has totally gone away! *LOL*
ah well, i love him and maybe one day I'll get one of his other brothers from another litter : )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oh no! You mean the pink spots go away?!? Molly has one too...it's something we fell in love with as well. Ah well, she has more freckles than she did when we got her, so I guess it's an even trade...LOL.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Have you noticed his coat changing colors, too? Boomer's colors have changed quite a bit, and he has more black spots in his white than he had before.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aw those spots are sooo cute!! Ella didn't have any spots but her fur changed color. She use to have almost all black ears and head and now it's almost all brown.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
They are born with pink noses, the black color fills in as they grow. A pink or spotted nose in an adult would be a fault.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie had a whole lot more black as a puppy. I was pretty sure I could tell the areas she was going to go brown (there were just a few brown hairs blended in the black! Sure enough she has a lot of brown on her now, esp. her face,

Sorry about the nose! I know it is very easy to fall in love with something unique like that!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are born with pink noses, the black color fills in as they grow. A pink or spotted nose in an adult would be a fault.
How interesting! I really did not know that. I knew their ears changed to brown and that other attributes on the fur could change a bit, but had no clue about the nose. He was the only one of the litter with pink still on his nose, if I can remember.
He's had so many other issues i probably got the genetic mutant of the bunch *lol* but I love him to pieces anyway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Pink Nosed Basset baby

After taking in 6 bassets that had recently became outside bassets after being house babies all their lives, I discovered one was preggo by her mate, a tri colored male, she was mahogany. When she had the litter only one had a pink nose, and when they opened their eyes that one also had lighter eyes than the others, so I became obsessed with taking her pictures, so she became, Pixel. as the weeks went by I thought she was blind becuase she would often run into things, but as two years have passed since then, she has proven not to be blind, however, the pink nose remains, as does the lighter eyes, which are like an aqua color, and yes before anyone says it, I know it is undesired in show, but as a part of my family, it is highly acceptable.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Basset coat colors often change once the puppy fur sheds out and the adult coat comes in.The ears can be black when born but as they mature brown to tan hairs start to grow through the black which usually means the color will change to brown. If the ears are coal black there probably won't be much change.When blanket black puppies are born their coats will change very little into adulthood,same with mahogony.Puppies with a black saddle may retain some darkness in the saddle but will get lighter when mature. The puppies in the photo did not change color at all into adult hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
RE: color change

My Thelma Lou is 13 weeks old and her dark fur is apparently going to be light brown as a an adult. Someone asked me if she needed a bath because she had these light brown splotches in her dark fur LOL.

And the lovely "blue" Basset puppy in my avatar is Barney, who had lovely dark blue/charcoal grey fur which is now just a dull dark brown. He was neutered as a precaution because my vet said he may be carrying recessive genes for health defects which are linked with the genes for "blue" fur. He has never shown any problems himself.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bowser has been neutered as well. there is as of now, only a tiny bit of pink left on the outside of one nostril...and his eyes stayed blue longer than other puppies i know, and his vision was terrible then, and still isn't great. he never looks up! it's silly. but he's acceptable now. His saddle is changing to brown, and his ears are all brown now. Like i said i knew about the ears, but that nose was a surprise!! lol
i would love a blue eyed pink nosed basset. ; ) but then again, i think i love all bassets at this point!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts