Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Last June I mentioned that Murray made a visit to Cardiac ICU to see his dad(he's doing great!), and that he wore his little yellow pet therapy vest- a few of you requested a picture- here it is finally! On the top it says: "Therapy Dog Please Pet Me", and on the side is his Canine Good Citizen patch. He really likes it when I put this on him; he kind of swaggers when he has it on. I think he feels special with it on because everyone fusses over him, pets him and gives him treats when he wears it! Sorry it took so long to post this, I don't take many pictures.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think that's great. Murray should be proud of himself!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He looks so handsome--what a good boy! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Murray U are a great therapy dog! I bet U really made your daddy feel better. Glad to hear your hubby is doing good. :D . Tummy Boy's Mom

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That is awesome. Way to go Murray!!!!! :) :)
We are hopefully going to get Bogie's CGC this fall, and then I would love to take him into the nursing homes here. We will see how it goes.
Did Murray also go through special pet therapy classes also?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
ahh, he's so handsome! good for Murray! :D :D

and glad to hear Dad is doing great --- i've wondered but didn't want to be too nosy. hope you are, too. :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://charityguide.org/volunteer/fewhours/pet-therapy.htm

Bubbba Leroy: here is a link to an article that will get you started if you are interested in getting certified. It mentions Delta Society, which is a national organization. There are others as well, that you can find by Googling.The national organization can help you find a local branch to get started, or you can call a local hospital and ask who does visits there- they would probably be glad to hear that you're interested!

Murray passed his CGC and then we were evaluated and made a few supervised visits to become certified. The main thing about certification is that you are covered by insurance. Many institutions will allow people who are not certified to visit with pets, but in this age of litigation it's a good idea to have the coverage an organization provides. I hope you decide to do this - there is a huge demand for teams to do not just hospital visits, but also reading programs,educational presentations to schools and community groups, to become part of hospital rehab teams, to work with Crises Intervention teams, to do prison visits- the list goes on and on. Locally we can't fill all the requests being made, and I am always recruiting!

And biscuit, thanks for the kind words. The concern you and others expressed back in June was really appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hero Hound!

Congratulations to you for dedicating time to the noble cause of pet therapy! I spent some time volunteering for a Child Life unit in the Children's Hospital in my area. I saw first hand how K-9 Friends brightened the day for very sick children. I bet you get back just as much as you give, Murray too! Keep up the good work! Cheers to Murray............Hero Hound!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Very impressive indeed! Has anyone seen the movie "Everything is Illuminated"? It's set in Russia (I think) and the guy who narrates it doesn't speak English well. He makes a vest for his grandfather's dog, which is supposed to be a seeing eye dog, and he writes on the vest "Officious seeing eye bitch." So funny.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh My!! I was surprised to see this post again FROM FOUR YEARS AGO (if you look at the date, you'll see I posted this in Sept. 2006) !!

Mike posted it as a link on the "Therapy Dogs" thread, and when folks responded to it, it came up again as a new post- interesting to realize how long our posts can live in Cyberspace!

And yes, four years later Murray is still excited when I put his little yellow vest on him-

Thanks for all the kind comments!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very impressive indeed! Has anyone seen the movie "Everything is Illuminated"? It's set in Russia (I think) and the guy who narrates it doesn't speak English well. He makes a vest for his grandfather's dog, which is supposed to be a seeing eye dog, and he writes on the vest "Officious seeing eye bitch." So funny.
is that the one with elijah wood in it? if it is then ive seen it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts