Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, the furkids are very well... not really phased about the cold(what temperature is too cold for them?) and my hubby have fenced off the plants in the garden - so no more destruction :)

Also they sleep in the foyer of our house in their little cushy beds - as they cannot manage the Dutch steps (any suggestions welcome) - our room is empty without them there!

Here are some pics of their adventure thus far!!

They are still barking - but I think this might be because of the strange sounds which they must still get to know in the garden!

Thanks for all the help and advice.

S.

Lex...
BOTH DOGGIES...
Softie...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Good looking dogs. What do you mean by they cannot manage Dutch steps, are they steeper? Just curious.

~Heather

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...yes they are very steap and not broad at all!

they manage to get up but cannot get down...so they stay downstairs - which is our living area and is fine...but would have loved to have them with us everywhere!!!

Oh thanks for the compliment...our dogs are well trim now...they were on a diet as the vet said Lexie was a bit overweight! they weigh under 25kgs.

Have a good day!
S.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Going down stairs scares bassets -- or they try, and slip and get scared. Try taking them up on lead and then make them come down, but stay immediately below them so you can assist them to do it one step at a time. About halfway down, they will have the idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have steep, narrow stairs too. We keep them carpeted, otherwise Toby cannot go down without slipping. He manages very well - goes down sort of sideways with both back feet going like a rabbit. Quite funny actually. I think if the stairs are carpeted, you can teach your guys how to do it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can even just get a runner (a carpet that goes down the middle of the stairs) instead if you don't want to cover up the entire stairs. I noticed how beautiful your wood floors are and if the stairs are like that (like mine) you might not want to totally cover them. Wonderful looking Bassets and it looks like a beautiful home as well!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts