Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, I'm a nursing student at a local college. This semester I'm taking an animal biology course and I have to present a PowerPoint presentation on whatever biology subject I choose. So, naturally, I've picked "The Francis Project- The Hows and Whys of Selective Breeding" where I examine the physical traits of our beloved breed.
I'm doing well and having fun but I have one question that I can't seem to answer. Where did the instinct part come from? Why does Francis go crazy every time he smells a rabbit (even though he's never had rabbit for dinner?) Is instinct to hunt bred along with the other traits? If anyone has any answer (keep it as simple as possible, I'm no scientist) I'd love some input. Thanks
(I posted this note on the other section on Health to get maximum exposure. Thanks)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It is my understanding it is "bred to the bone".
So it is as natural as sucking to an infant. Some one I'm sure can tell you where it started from.

Joan

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It gets confusing if we have duplicate topics so I deleted your post on the Health and Genetics forum. If you'd prefer the thread on Conformation and Breeding moved to the H & G forum let me know.

I spent about an hour this morning reaching this topic and came up with zip. If I find anything I'll pass it along.

Tried emailing this to you but it bounced back.

[ September 28, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
654 Posts
It could be passed through D.N.A. and stored in the cerebellum part of the brain.Scent awakens the drive to feed.So the basset has the trait to scent a track,this trail could lead to a bunny or to a ham sandwich.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
In looking for references on this topic, I did come up with a most interesting article. Probably not of much help to you Beverly Anne but certainly worth reading. Here's a little tidbit from The Truth about Dogs by Stephen Budiansky:
Dogs belong to that select group of con artists at the very top of the profession, the ones who pick our pockets clean and leave us smiling about it. Dogs take from the rich, they take from the poor, and they keep it all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts