Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the kitchen is technically Snoopy's "bedroom" and he has managed to escape several times over the past few days. I wish I caught him on tape but here's how he does it.

He gets his front paws on top of the pet gate. Then he turns to his side slightly so one front paw is still on top of the gate. He then proceeds to use his hind legs to push his upper body to the top of the gate. Now you have to picture snoopy kicking his legs in the air like he's swimming. For about 10 seconds his body is balancing on top of this gate which looks like a bassett teeter totter. (HAHAHA) Then he lowers the front part of his body slowly to get to the other side of the gate.

Tah dah he has escaped. It's quite impressive and I wish I could capture it on film. I have no idea how he learned how to do this and not to mention I have moved the gate up a few inches so I thought it was too high for him to scale...boy was I wrong. Bassets crack me up.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, typical bassets! You will keep finding more and more funny and ridiculous things about bassets and the worse thing is: You will enjoy all of them! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D LOL. I wish U did have it on tape. Wow. Tummy Boy's Mom.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We tried to keep Sadie in the kitchen while we were working but no matter what we did she would find a way over the gate. We went out and bought taller gates, still got over. We put the gate up and then a board in front of it hoping she would not have nothing to grab on to pull her self over with but she found a way to move the board out of place just enough to get over. I did catch her once doing it and it was funny. The fridge is off to the side of the gate and she would lean her body against the fridge and use her paws on the gate to slide her self up the fridge until she got high enough to pull herself over. So we have to keep her in a kennel when gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
6 inch board

My bassets have never climbed over anything. We have a gate to shut them in the kitchen, but only a 6 inch board across the hall way to keep them out of the bedrooms. We put a board across our stairs going up to our rooms when Charlie was little and he couldn't get over it as my husband say he couldn't see over and didn't know what was on the other side. Now he never climbs over any boards. The cats even knock the board over and he won't walk across it. We had a gate keeping them from going down in the basement now it is gone and they still don't go down. They are creatures of habits it is just making sure those habits are good ones. Brandy just follows Charlies lead she has never crossed the board either.
Stephanie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts