Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby had his first antibiotic about 1 year or so ago. I took him to the vet because another dog took him by surprise and he twisted his head away quickly and it was stiff later. He got antibiotics(couldn't find any bite marks, but just in case) and anti-inflammatories.

Several weeks later. found that dogs were humping him a lot and even bitches were following him and sniffing his regions. He also round about this time, started having dirty ears, and his coat which was once beautiful, became dull with specs of dandruff also noticed his nails were dry and he was shedding much more and also his appetite waned as did his energy levels.

Been back and forth to the vet she tested for diabetes and thyroid amongst other things although she thought that basically he looked normal to her but I had to constantly point out that what looked normal to her wasn't normal for HIM! and every time I mentiond about the humping, she replied that it was a common thing for dogs to do to a neutered male.

Then read an article in the 'New Scientist' which states 'treat a dog with antibiotics, and you risk killing the bacteria that produce the scent by which it is recognisable to other dogs' John Bradshaw University of Bristol U.K. That would make sense.

Got to say now however that Toby's problems have gone, both the humping and the medical problems, and the vet has finally agreed that it is possible the antibiotic was responsible for temporarily affecting his thyroid function and perhaps his scent. I know antibiotics can be life savers, but I think next time I will make damn sure he needs them before I give him any.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Interesting. If one of mine is put on antibiotics, I usually add some plain yogurt to their food to try to balance the good bacteria/bad bacteria stuff, though I'm not sure that would have helped in your situation...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aruuu, he has been getting Bio-live fat free natural yoghurt every night for several years now. (basically because I read it MAY help prevent bloat) His symptoms may have been worse without it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis is currently on Doxycycline for Lyme and I've noticed his ears smells a little "yeasty" so I'll bet it's related...I'll try the yoghurt and see if that works!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
my usual annoying warning:

most grocery store yogurts don't have any culture in them, so are useless. you might as well just give the dog a glass of milk.

now, i don't know about the new Dannon variety --- i'm so annoyed with them for selling yogurt without culture for so many years, when they used to be a good brand, that i won't buy them, though. grrrr.

but around here, Brown Cow has the most active cultures, but Stonyfield is pretty darned good! and Horizon Yogurt sucks big time! Bio-live, we don't have, but i'm guessing it does because it sounds like sadeyes has read the label! :D

just be sure to check the labels of yogurt for live active cultures.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for the warning, Biscuit, I will certainly check from now on. I just assumed the cultures were there. This really ticks me off :angry: !

·
Registered
782 Posts
I used to make my own yoghurt! :blink: I also made my own pasta and pesto!!! Now I can barely manage the microwave.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Brown Cow is the one we use too. I saw a chart in some magazine and this brand was near the top for active cultures.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Brown Cow is almost dangerously yummy, too. Although I have some Stonyfield right now and it's not bad at all! Definitely better than Dannon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts