Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody watch "The Dog Whisperer"? I have been hooked on that show for about a week. I'd love to see him with a basset.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am addicted to that show - have been for about 1 year. Cesar worked with a Basset "Leo." It was just on a couple nights ago here. Leo was a 10 month old who absolutely refused to walk unless he was going to his Lab friend "Pete's" house. Leo also refused to go in the kitchen when his owner left. Cesar taught Leo's Mom how to handle him & he got over all his "issues."

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There was a Basset on the show the other night, but it was a re-run (I remember the first time it was advertised). He (the Basset) was doing the typical 'flat Basset' routine, being dragged in a completely relaxed state by the owner. I wonder how he fixed it - I never saw the episode, that night, or the first time. Personally, I wouldn't change any of Moe's 'Basset' traits... that's what makes him so unique and special to me. 8) Now, be honest... who here doesn't find the 'flat Basset' routine cause for amusement?

Terry

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every morning Elvis protests about going back in his kennel outside when I have to go to work. Our beagle, Roscoe, runs ahead of me into the kennel because he knows he will get a treat, but I turn around to see Elvis's hind end walking away from me. When I walk over to him, he lays down and puts his head on his paws. My husband David was watching in amusement the other morning when he saw me pick Elvis up and throw him over my shoulder to carry him out to the kennel. He said Elvis had the most pitiful look on his face! :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
I LOVE the Dog Whisperer! I think I've seen almost every episode, expect of course, the Basset one! I get his monthly newsletter. He is so popular. All his tour dates are always sold out!

It's amazing that what he is really doing is training people not dogs!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I watched it yesterday with great interest in that he was working with those yorkie arfy type dogs. We have two arfy's next door and all they do is ARF non-stop to the point that once when my father-in-law was visiting, he bellowed "BE QUIET" and then the owner of the Arf's came out and brought them in the house. The owner just glares at me when I tell Ruby what a good dog she is because she never makes a sound.

I was hoping I could learn a command to say to these next door arfy's to get them to stop before I need a lobotomy.

:lol:

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I was hoping I could learn a command to say to these next door arfy's to get them to stop before I need a lobotomy.
While I disagree with a lot of Cesar methodology and even more so on why he thinks certain thing work one can not disagree with his first premise. Exersize, exercize and um more exercize. It releaves stress in the dog and as anyone know a tired dog is a well behaved dog.

There is no magic command. Heck a dog doesn't have an inane sense of spoken language they must be taught cues. Abscent that there is no magic word. IMHO most "lap dogs" are under exercised the have a tendency to be carried everwhere and only occasional let out side but rarely walked hence they become easily bored and yapping is just one of those manifestations, Take the yappers on a brisk 45 minute walk with ruby and suddenly the neighborhood will become quite.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm with Mike on that one. The only time Francis becomes a pain is when he hasn't had enough exercise. He's always quiet and well behaved after a good long (albeit slow) walk. He has ways of letting me know that he needs to get out and romp, like waking me up in the middle of the night!!!
I'm also with Terry in that I love it when Franny goes "flat basset" on me and starts sighing in exasperation because evidently Bevy doesn't get it. :roll:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
SIGH!!! We don't get to see the "Dog Whisperer". On our cable "National Geographic" that hosts the "Dog Whisperer" comes with their most expensive special package, and we refuse to add $30 a month to our already out of sight cable bill to get Nat. Geog. plus five channels we would never watch. I did see copies of his programs at Wal Mart so we may have to spend some $$ for some of those.

Arooooos from Bogie Carter!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I agree that a tired dog is a happy dog! Rusty & Stickers normally go for 2 walks a day. They also get to romp in the backyard several times daily. We have a one mile walking trail where we live. They love to walk and walk and walk!! Good exercise for us too!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
A tired dog is a WELL-BEHAVED dog... his owner is the happy one. :D Our dogs are very happy when they get to bark. :roll:

Being the reluctant owner of a so-called "yappy" dog, I have to agree that there is no magic command. Tally is quiet when she is too tired to care about barking. Fortunately for us, on those times that she isn't too tired to bark, we have dog-loving neighbors who get a big kick out of seeing a barking rat. :wink:

Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts