Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dog I didn't want. In Feb 2001 my husband came to pick me up from work for lunch. He wasn't alone. In the seat next to him was a four year old basset hound named Happy. It became clear that Happy's people didn't want him anymore. "Please can we keep him" were the words spoken by my husband. I told him I didn't want a dog. You see, Happy was smelly and spitty. A few weeks later I was caught red handed in the living room floor hugging this dog I didn't want. Happy became Noonie and settled in nicely with us in the little house in Utah. He was a very sweet boy, but had an adventurous streak. A few times his nose carried him to the local Lions Club where we would find him being fed hotdogs by some kind soul. Another time be was picked up by the law after he was caught at the elementary school yard. Among the charges brought against this hardened criminal were "dog running at large" and dog in a "prohibited establishment" Funny though, when the dog catcher brought him back to the house he was in the front seat with her. Some criminal. He enjoyed walks around the neighborhood and it seemed as though he would always get a smile from those we encountered. In Apr 2004 we relocated to Alaska. It was unbelievable how many people asked us what we were going to do with him prior to us leaving. Like there was any question about this. He went with us of course. We drove the whole way and he made many friends wherever we stopped. He was the best traveling companion ever. We bought our first house here and he had a fenced yard with a doggy door so he could go out whenever he wanted. Noonie liked to lay in the cool dirt sometimes and one day to my alarm I found him in my freshly planted flower bed. He kicked the dirt back with his hind feet and then promptly laid down on top of my pretty flowers. Noonie was tolerant. He adjusted quickly when I brought Buddy home in Aug 04. It took a little longer when we brought Penny into the family in Dec 07, but everything worked out. Noonie was loyal and dependable. He was always here for me when I left and came back. It didn't matter if it was just for the day or months due to deployment to the Middle East. Noonie, this dog I didn't want broke my heart yesterday when we had to let him go. As my husband said "he had a good run". Rest peacefully Baby Noons.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
What a wonderful story. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Our sympathy on the loss of your boy. They sure do wrap their paws around your heart, don't they?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
*sniff*

my people lost two bassets in january. we're all right there with you!
RIP Noonie. you were very much loved and will forever be missed.
ahrooooooooo

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww.... what a lovely story... it brought tears to my eyes. Basset Hounds have a habit of tearing at our heart strings
and Noonie sounds like he's had a wonderful life and you all have many happy memories.

RIP Noonie, you'll be remembered forever xx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for sharing your sweet story..... RIP Noonie, it hurts for sure just having lost my boy March 1st I know how hard it is to let them go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep, totally blubbering at my desk. I am so sorry. No matter how many times we might go through it, it's never easy to lose a dog. He'll be waiting at the bridge for you. *Hugs* from Fergus and me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sorry for your loss ... sounds like "the Dog You Didn't Want" was a blessing to you as much as you were a blessing to him. They have a funny way of getting in to our hearts.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
RIP, Noonie.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What a touching story ... so sorry for your loss. It is never an easy time loosing one that you love but you have great memories and sometime in the future you will remember Nonnie with laughter and not tears. I think that you brought as much joy into Nonnies life as Nonnie brought into yours.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like Noonie had a wonderful life with you. Thank you for being such a wonderful soul to take him in.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Godspeed, Noonie...It does sound like he had a 'great run'.

·
Registered
767 Posts
God bless Noonie and his family.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts