Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning and every evening has become a battle to keep Bernie's food in his bowl. He will pick his bowl up or flip it over with his nose until he dumps the food out on the floor. THEN he eats it. He might eat a little before he dumps it out but not much. Half the time he brings it in the living room and dumps it on the carpet. :mad:
The only way to keep him from doing it is for my husband to stand next to him while he's eating to stop him from dumping it out. What the heck?! :confused: Any ideas why he's doing this? Any body else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Dear Mrs. Bernie's Ma,

That's the way we teenage boyz eat!!
we are messy and like our messes, that's fer sure.

none of this eating neatly, daintily, sorta stuff. that's for girlz.
(have u ever seen a boy teenager's room vs a girlz room? they are really different).

well, it looks like the only time the boyz'll change is when a girl comes into the picture. maybe u can convince Georgia to teach him how to be neater???
--Sincerely, Worm :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
My girl does that ALL the time! She can never leave her food in her bowl. She gets a mouth full and literally spits it out on the floor and eats one piece at a time. Such a mongrel!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Barney did that...he would take it out the dog door spilling it out on the way. Finally put it in a cupcake pan....He's still messy but doesn't try to move it to a new location. Seems to enjoy the compartments....takes a few out of each one and then goes back to the beginning.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Barney did that...he would take it out the dog door spilling it out on the way. Finally put it in a cupcake pan....He's still messy but doesn't try to move it to a new location. Seems to enjoy the compartments....takes a few out of each one and then goes back to the beginning.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Henry did that, we thought we had solved the problem by putting it in a heavy pot bowl. This worked until he learned to drag the mat that the bowl is on to wherever he decided to eat! [I feel he may be a genius!]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ollie has the same eating problems, get a mouthful and take it to the living room. He eats if your right next to him, guess hes just a social eater.

·
Registered
517 Posts
HaHa that too funny -- but I agree with Esther as long as they clean up their own mess its okay -- unlike teenagers who don't if I remember correctly. We don't have that problem her but if we give Miss Paisley another kind of bowl -- lets say a glass desert bowl with the few remaining licks of ice cream or such in it she picks it up and carries it to her bed to savor each and every morsel to the last lick. Sometimes she will tip it over and lick the underside too!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I put his food on one of those boot trays. Nothing to dump, and he can't gulp it all in one bite. He seems to like it that way too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought a slow feed bowl and things went great for awhile. Then he figured out how to dump it. He would eat about half, then pick the bowl up and dump the rest! Now he gets his food in a huge, wide, stainless steel bowl (big enough that each meal cannot even cover the bottom of the bowl in an even layer). Now he leaves all the food in the bowl and eats it nicely :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning did that when he was young. Then I got Stomps, and suddenly Lightning couldn't eat his food fast enough--he certainly didn't take the time to dump it all on the floor first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My boys did that trick. They would nose through it as if they were looking for a tasty treat then turn it over or take it to another room and dump it out. I finally bought them bowls that did not have any kind of rim around the top so now it cant be picked up or tipped over. That was the only thing that solved my problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally bought them bowls that did not have any kind of rim around the top so now it cant be picked up or tipped over. That was the only thing that solved my problem.
I did this last week. I bought a bowl that was like the spaniel bowls. the sides are slanted and it doesn't have a rim. I thought i had done really good and solved the problem. HA!! :rolleyes: It didn't work. he pushed that dang bowl around all over the kitchen until he hit the edge of the carpet and then started pushing at the bottom of it with his nose until it dumped over. UGH!!!

It wouldn't be so bad if he would go ahead and eat it and didn't get food crumbs all in the carpet but he always leaves a few pieces laying about and if my husband, who is in a wheelchair, doesn't see them they get crushed into the carpet by his wheels. Boys!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our Leopold does this too...after he dumps the bowl he picks through the kibbles looking for his favorites, eventually he eats them all. I noticed that once we got our third basset (who eats very quickly) he doesn't have time to be choosy..he just eats so he doesn't lose a kibble to the others! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts