Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lunchbox and the Aliens, the story of a basset abducted by aliens and accidentally given extraordinary intelligence, is finally here. I got my author's copies this week and they are beautiful--the art by Kevan Atteberry (creator of the annoying little paperclip help guy in Microsoft Office) is hilarious; whether you actually read the story or not, the illustrations will crack you up!

The book will officially be on sale September 19th. Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and Walmart.com are all accepting preorders.

Not only am I excited about the release of my first book, I have also been offered a contract for the sequel! It will likely be out in a year or so. I'm currently working on a third book in the series--just can't seem to get basset silliness out of my system.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Pretty cool that you're writing about bassets. I read something from one of your writings that bassets are stupid and of housebreaking advise. I really hope you were kidding! Ruby is very bright and intellegent. As for housebreaking, gentle praise and consistancy is key.

There was a basset hound story I read as a girl and the basset hound's name was Waffles. We had Bud the basset at the time and my family used to get a big kick out of the name Waffles. Wonder what story that was.

Janice and Ruby

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What good news! I already have my copy preordered through Amazon. Also one for my brother - who I am desperately trying to convince to get another basset in his life. Maybe Alien will help tip the scales in a basset's favor. And trust me, that would be one lucky basset!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What good news! I already have my copy preordered through Amazon. Also one for my brother - who I am desperately trying to convince to get another basset in his life. Maybe Alien will help tip the scales in a basset's favor. And trust me, that would be one lucky basset!
[/b]

Thanks to all who have ordered the book. As a writer looking to polish his craft (and sell more books, I'll admit), I'd be interested in your feedback once you've had a chance to read it. I based Lunchbox on bassets I have known and my childhood fantasies of my basset being smarter and more heroic than he really was. If the book does well my wife might actually let me get another basset...maybe I could take him to book signings...teach him to put his pawprint on books...and I could write off the Alpo and vet bills as business expenses, maybe... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I will watch for your book, can we get it up here in Canada? I am in the process of self publishing my basset poetry, using pictures of various bassets on this board. It's not a big venture, just fun!

I emailed your friend Kevin A, and told him about my 87 year old father's experience with his little paper clip! I got a very nice reply from him, said he'll repeat the story in the future..

Sandy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will watch for your book, can we get it up here in Canada? I am in the process of self publishing my basset poetry, using pictures of various bassets on this board. It's not a big venture, just fun!

I emailed your friend Kevin A, and told him about my 87 year old father's experience with his little paper clip! I got a very nice reply from him, said he'll repeat the story in the future..

Sandy
[/b]

The book is available in Canada--it's listed at Amazon.ca

Kevan Attebery is a very nice guy and extremely talented. We haven't met face to face; he was hired by the publisher, but only after I begged my editor to dump the first artist they picked (he was really awful, IMHO). Kevan nailed the characters almost exactly as I pictured them--it was obvious he'd read the book thoroughly before he started drawing. He is on board to illustrate the sequel, Froonga Planet (no release date yet). I hope he will illustrate every book I have planned so far (working on a third Lunchbox book and another middle grade novel at the moment).

Ain't technology grand--I live in Texas, my publisher and my agent are in New York, my illustrator is in Seattle--and we can zip stuff to each other instantly.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
SaintDog - I love that pic.

I don't leave any books on the lower shelves because so many of my dogs love to "read" them. I do feel bad that I might be hindering their education.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just got notification from Amazon that my book has shipped. I love it when things happen earlier than expected.

Now I can look forward to something GOOD in the mail.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Will it be available in bookstores or only online? Is it possible to buy an autographed copy?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Any chance of having signed copies available for Cyberhound members? After all you did get a bit of free advertisiing. :) I want to order two copies for my basset hound owning vet's two little girls but would certainly prefer copies signed by the author. B)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will it be available in bookstores or only online? Is it possible to buy an autographed copy?
[/b]

Barnes & Noble has the book available online; if they don't have it in your local store they can probably order it.

I can autograph copies for anyone willing to pay return postage--PM me about that.

Bryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts