Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie's gone in this morning for the "big snip" aka Neuter (not sure of the spelling..sorry)
I was just wondering if there's anything specifically about Bassets and being Neutered or having surgery that I should look out for when we get him back tomorrow. Or if you have any interesting stories. Alway like hearing about other people's experiences...
thanks!! :huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny timing... I'm working from home today with Jesse laying on the bean bag after being spayed yesterday. She had kinda a restless night after sleeping all evening from the drugs. But, I gave her pain medicine this morning and she's sleeping like a baby now. I couldn't find her size for an e-collar and the vet recommended the BiteNot collar, so I'm gonna go out today and look for one. Other than that, it's pretty much business as usual with the occasional, "calm down, don't wanna bust a stitch".

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi was neutered when he was around six months old. He was pretty tired when he got home and slept for the whole evening. The next day he was feeling much better and the hardest thing was keeping him from running, jumping and playing since he was ready for business as usual! I didn't have any problems with him licking at the incision area at all which was really surprising. He didn't need a collar either which was good because those big stupid cone collars really freak the poor boy out! The thing that was weird for me was getting over the fact that the vet would send a dog home the same day as the surgery! Apparently this is quite common now.
Hope Louie has a nice speedy recovery! Good luck with him when he comes home tomorrow! I am sure you miss him already.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's been a while since we had a male, but if I remember correctly, all three came home the day they had the surgery, were groggy that night, quiet the next day or two, and that was it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning breezed through his neutering with no problems. But what I found disconcerting was that they took out the essentials but left the skin. <_< I find it very odd-looking. I don't know why they'd leave extra skin, especially on a saggy basset hound. They'd have to know it's not going to SHRINK with time. Stomps was neutered before I got him. His vet didn't leave the skin. Here's wishing Louie a speedy and nonsaggy recovery to Louie!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ditto for Herman. He was done at about a year. A little groggy, then back to normal the next day. Frankly I did not observe any behavioral changes whatsoever. He remained a fairly aggressive dog his whole life.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Lightning breezed through his neutering with no problems. But what I found disconcerting was that they took out the essentials but left the skin. <_< I find it very odd-looking. I don't know why they'd leave extra skin, especially on a saggy basset hound. They'd have to know it's not going to SHRINK with time.[/b]
They usually don't touch the scrotum, removing the testicles through an abdominal incision. I think removing or changing the appearance of the empty scrotal sac would turn a minor procedure into a more complex surgery. Though I don't like the look either, I most likely wouldn't do it because of increased risk to the pup-if indeed a vet would do it for purely cosmetic reason.

From ASPCA:
Scrotal Ablation
This term refers to the complete removal of the scrotum. In a standard neuter or castration, the testicles are removed from the scrotum and the scrotum remains intact. However, certain circumstances require the surgeon to remove the scrotum at the time of castration. This is a more complicated surgery, and requires surgical skill as well as cautery of the many vessels found in the scrotum.
Cases where a scrotal ablation may be necessary include any dog or cat with an injury to the scrotum or scrotal skin (such as a chemical burn in a shelter when a dog sits in a concrete run that was disinfected but not completely rinsed down), scrotal neoplasia or cancer (this is rare), or large older dogs with pendulous scrotum.[/b]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
None of mine have ever had a problem with being spayed or netuered. They usually sleep through the night, wake up hungry and within 24-48 hours I have a hard time keeping them quiet.

But, we always worry when our furbabies go under anesthesia.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Scrotal Ablation
This term refers to the complete removal of the scrotum. In a standard neuter or castration, the testicles are removed from the scrotum and the scrotum remains intact. However, certain circumstances require the surgeon to remove the scrotum at the time of castration. This is a more complicated surgery, and requires surgical skill as well as cautery of the many vessels found in the scrotum.
Cases where a scrotal ablation may be necessary include any dog or cat with an injury to the scrotum or scrotal skin (such as a chemical burn in a shelter when a dog sits in a concrete run that was disinfected but not completely rinsed down), scrotal neoplasia or cancer (this is rare), or large older dogs with pendulous scrotum.

Rusty was neutered at one year old, when we got him & Stickers from the breeder. He had "scrotal Ablation" when he had his surgery. I chose that with my German Shepherd years ago too. Rusty's procedure was done by the breeder's Vet who is very skilled in this procedure. Stickers was also spayed the same day by the same Vet. They both recoped at her house for 1 week.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
It's been a while since we had a male, but if I remember correctly, all three came home the day they had the surgery, were groggy that night, quiet the next day or two, and that was it.[/b]
None of my males were quite the next day it was like nothing happened. Some of the girl have been subdue for a day or two but not many of them either. I think the type and amount of anethestic used is more of a factor than the surgery itself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone!!! I figured there probably wasn't much to it, still i like hearing all the stories to compare.
I called the vet for an update and he's sleeping comfortably and should be back with us tomorrow afternoon!
Thanks for the well-wishes!!
:D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's interesting about the scrotal sac. I'm glad there's a practical reason for it and the vet didn't just do it to be funny. I should get those scrotal implants for Lightning, to boost his ego (I'm just kidding!) Glad Louie's doing well!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They usually don't touch the scrotum, removing the testicles through an abdominal incision. I think removing or changing the appearance of the empty scrotal sac would turn a minor procedure into a more complex surgery. Though I don't like the look either, I most likely wouldn't do it because of increased risk to the pup-if indeed a vet would do it for purely cosmetic reason.

From ASPCA:[/b]
Thanks for the information! I never remembered to ask the vet but I remember the basset/beagle mix that we had growing up was neutered and he didn't have a little sac hanging there afterwards. So when I had my first dog neutered I was really surprised to see this little sac hanging there! People would tell me they always do that but I knew I remembered right about that dog we had when we were kids! So that was very interesting for me to know!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My youngest (Clyde) age 4 had to be neutered, he was having problems with bleeding after he urinated. They found his prostrate was enlarged so they went ahead and done the surgery no problems since, but they too left the sack. It looks funny, but I too didn't question my vet, i now know the reason behind it. He is a much calmer basset now!
Michelle

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, thought I would just add to an old one.

Just dropped Boomer off at the vet to be neutered in the morning, and I miss him already. Other option was bring him in the morning, but he is such a chow hound that I decided it was better to take him the night before and let someone else listen to him complain.

If all goes well, I can take him home tomorrow later or he can stay until Friday morning.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cannoli breezed through being spayed, she handled it much better than my Chihuahua did. She did end up being allergic to the buried sutures and about a week after the surgery she suddenly had an infection. The vet said she was a "delicate flower" and gave us some antibiotics and stuff to keep it clean. She healed up nicely.

I had two boys nuetered about a year and a half ago and they didn't leave the loose skin, everything was gone. I hadn't ever seen such a thing until I was visiting friends out on the west coast. I thought maybe it was regional?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just called the vet's office. Boomer's surgery went well, when she checked on him, he had made a nest of his blankets and just looked at her and wagged his tail a little. Still sleepy from the anesthesia. Will call back later this afternoon and hopefully I'll get to take him home this evening.

I miss my puppy!

·
Registered
878 Posts
My two Bassets were both spayed on the day they were 6 months old and when I collected them they both had white 'sticky breathable plaster' over their op areas and neither of them bothered licking it at all and after a few days the edges began to lift slightly and after about 10 days they went back for the vet to check them and she took the sticky patch off and her sewing was so neat, that apart from a thread at one end, it was invisible, so I guess it's because females are neater at sewing than male vets and a few more days and once the hair started to grow back it was impossible to see where the operation had been done!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts