Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pet therapy organization in conjunction with the local Humane League is running sessions for kids 2nd through 4th grade at the area libraries this summer on responsible pet ownership. The program is called "The Big Promise". We have a bag of pet supplies and each child pulls out an item and we talk about it. For example, a water bowl: " It's hot today- wouldn't you like a nice big glass of lemonade? But you wouldn't want bugs in it would you- UGH! Well, your dog wouldn't like bugs in his water either-" I'm always surprised at how many kids don't have parents that teach them the basics of animal care and responsibility. The kids are great,seem to enjoy the interaction with the dogs, and Murray is having a good time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a wonderful idea and a great job by you and your organization!
Something tells me that after interacting with Murray, the most common thing said by those kids to their parents is,"Mommy, I want a Basset hound, when can we get a Basset!?" Kudos to you! ( and a big cookie to Murray) :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Great idea with the bag of supplies. I took Scooter to kindergarden once, and everyone loved her! I like your idea though - interactive!

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a great idea. Teaching kids how to care for and play nicely with dogs brings everyone in the family closer together.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That is a good idea to teach children from early age to care about animal! Two thumbs up for you.

There are so many animal out there that are/were abused by children just because they don't realize it. Also, mentality and social background play a big role in this matter. These are the part of people that need to know and care.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great Idea!!!

How wonderful to teach the next generation of pet owners to be responsible. I bet some of them will even stop begging for a pet once they realize how much work and responsibility comes with it. This is a great idea before the holidays too, when everyone wants a puppy or kitten.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This is a great idea. A couple of years ago, my dogs and I used to participate in obedience demonstrations at local public schools and libraries. We used our time to educate the kids about proper pet care, too. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good for you, and a great idea! Belinda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts