Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This letter on a web page amused me... I would have spoken to the man as soon as I had set eyes on his Basset!! :D

By Monica Collins
GateHouse News Service
Posted Jun 04, 2010 @ 08:30 AM

Dear Dog Lady,

Every morning, I walk my dog Smallfry (he’s a terrier mix) at a large public park area where there are lots of other people and their dogs. As you might imagine, I recognize the dogs more than the people, but I have noticed this very nice-looking man with a Basset hound. The sight of these two always puts me in a good mood. The man is tall and the dog is saggy. They make quite a couple. For me, there’s nothing sexier than a man with his dog.

I’m recently divorced and would love to make new friends. Should I introduce myself?
-- Treena

Dear Treena,

Introduce yourself to man via dog. A suggested opening line: “My, what a handsome hound. Do you mind if I give him a little treat?” Carry a freeze-dried liver chunk for just such a purpose. The dog, at least, will love you forever. The man may not be so enamored, but you can always hope he feels the warmth of a friendly first impression.

The best approach to people is through their dogs – especially in the morning when defenses are down. Dogs can be stalking horses into human relationships. They are an empathy barometer. Smallfry leads, and your heart follows.
-- Dog lady

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
=) I tend to talk to people when I see their cute dogs too.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Several years ago, I was walking Lightning and Stomps on a paved path. This guy jogs toward me with his boxer. Both were good looking, but I was focused on the dog. As they jogged toward me, I said "Howdy handsome!", which is my standard line when I see a good-looking dog. Then I realized how that must have sounded to the guy, so I quickly said, "I meant your dog!" Then I realized how THAT must have sounded so I said, "Not that you're not good-looking too!" At this point I was so embarrassed I wanted to dive in a ditch to get out of the situation, but the guy was cool. He kept jogged, but laughing too. So, no love connection, but a story I love telling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh so true. When I first go hank I posted puppy pictures on my facebook. I was friends with this guy luke who wanted to meet him. So I said "ok you can be his daddy since he doesn't have a male influence in his life" luke would come over and we'd play with hank and we ended up hitting it off. Well, luke and I are getting married next year and I reeeeeeally want hank to be the ring bearer!

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is a possibility. We had a basset ring bearer at our wedding. It makes the ceremony much more personal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep we have a custom made pillow that fits on the collar and the rings tied to it. My mom made it for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The only thing I'm worried about would be getting dog hair on my dress. I'm usually not too concerned about dog hair on my clothes but...its my wedding dress. Or deciding to pee during the ceremony. I don't want my wedding video to end up on americas funniest home videos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts