Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been going along very well with Nitro - until last week. He is just over a year old now, and like every child, he has been pushing mommy to the absolute limits of her patience. Well, a week ago, dear little Nitro decided to eat my peace lily. They just happen to be poisonous, so we made an emergency trip to the vet to vomit up enough leaves to kill three dogs. A few days later, Nitro decided to chew the strap off a guitar. He has plenty of toys to chew and shred, so I don't think it is boredom. Anger maybe, I was out mowing the lawn and left him in the house by himself, but he has never done that before.

The only thing I can think of is that this is the first time my son has been gone since we brought Nitro home. Is he having doggy separation anxiety to something? Unfortunately, my son came home yesterday, and we are leaving on vacation tomorrow. He is going to the kennel for the first time, we will be gone for a whole week. Will he even remember us when we get home? I am paranoid of the trouble he will cause when he comes home! Tell me it will be fine and he will forgive us for leaving him.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It will be fine and he won't forget you and he will forgive you. Eventually. After he eats the couch cushions and teaches himself to play guitar and keep you up at all hours of the night.

I think(?) in people years he is an adolescent or teenager, so yeah, it's no wonder he's being a little stinker.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Winston is going through something similar. He is a holy terror right now. He'd break a lesser person, but I am more stubborn than he is. He'll get past this stage and mellow out...I keep telling myself that. Nitro will too.

Molly went through a slight adolescence, but she was not as bad. Not sure if it was her temperament or her Addison's coming on. Perhaps a bit of both.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
haha, we bassets don't forgit! and we likes to take reevenge too.

(Worm, stop it!)

ok, ok, naw, mejoking. Nitro will be sooo happy to see u after a week at the kennel. he'll just be showing his happiness in multiple, creative ways. these ways may not sync up with yours. he was trying to show u how much he loves ur peace lillies, your guitar... ok, sometimes it is anger/frustration tho.

i haven't been a terror in my household, but that's 'cause my place is truly puppyproofed. i have ruined few things here. but just to give u an example, i got mad at my peeples last weekend for putting me in da tent after they cleaned me off. and not letting me out. i got to the roll of toilet paper and shredded it into nice itty bits. my person says THAT'S what would happen if they let me roam free in the house all day. it's true.

hmmm, maybe keepin' a close eye on Nitro as he goes through these growing pains? even my person puts me in the crate sometimes even when she takes a short shower. doesn't trust me i guess, esp when i'm full of energy.

but, i gotta remind u that us teenage bassets are truly loveable and we can be very, very sweet too. in between the times when we r bad :mellow: i gotta stick up for Nitro, too.
--Worm, a teenage terror

·
Registered
767 Posts
Be sure to bring Nitro back nice gifts so he will know you were thinking of him while you we're away. Maggie & Daisy

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
FWiw at the 10-month -1 year age dog go through a seconded chewing phase that is often worse than the first. These are both caused by teething In the second phase the third mollars akin to wisdom teeth in people erupt. That may or may not be the cause of the new chewing.

so we made an emergency trip to the vet to vomit up enough leaves
You wnat to keep some 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand for emergencyt situation in which it is safe to induce vomitting. ( not alway safe with every posion) I table spoon adninstered every ten minutes ti vomiting start. You want to make sure the dog is outside when you do this.

Induce Vomiting Only When It's Necessary, And Safe

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mine is at the 9 months mark, and he is trying to chew on stuff as far back in his mouth as he can get it. He is also trying my patience. Yesterday he got ahold of my ipod touch, then tried to make a chew toy out of a can of spray paint. Then he scared the carp out of me by grabbing a hard roll off the counter, and trying to swallow it in one bite. He started choking, and I had to grab the first aid book to figure out how to do the Heimlich on him. Once the roll came back up, he acted like nothing happened. I spent the rest of the evening trying to come down off an adrenaline high with the shakes.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We had a sheet of decorative aluminum as a vent cover on a cold air return in the dining room. HAD! I was in the shower the other morning and I came downstairs and it was ripped open and a chunk was in Winston's mouth. I had to fight to get it from him. He wasn't very happy, but imagine how unhappy he'd be if he ate it. He's ramped up the naughtiness lately. He's lucky he's cute and sweet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts