Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pretty little angel baby in that avatar... is 11!?!! How did that happen?! Yesterday, around lunchtime she went downstairs to potty & was limping on her right hind leg. We didn’t see or hear a wreck at the bottom of the stairs, not even a whimper or a whine. We kept her quiet in bed or kennel all day & packed her up/down to potty. Gave her 1/2 a “vintage” rimadyl (desperate times... expired meds) around dinner as she was still limping. 330am she whined in her kennel so I left her out & low & behold she wasn’t limping!! Kept her quiet in bed & sleeping beauty is still snoring so I’m not sure what our plan should be. Even though she hates it & flops down like a fainting goat (& I might need the other 1/2 of rimadyl) we’ll keep packing her up/downstairs. Should I keep giving rimadyl in case she’s got a little swelling I can’t see? Vet apt no matter what? FYI: She’s a petite 40 lber with great body mechanics up/downstairs. Perfectly straight back line & no furniture allowed. Thanks in advance basset hound friends!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
So my pretty little angel baby in that avatar... is 11!?!! How did that happen?! Yesterday, around lunchtime she went downstairs to potty & was limping on her right hind leg. We didn’t see or hear a wreck at the bottom of the stairs, not even a whimper or a whine. We kept her quiet in bed or kennel all day & packed her up/down to potty. Gave her 1/2 a “vintage” rimadyl (desperate times... expired meds) around dinner as she was still limping. 330am she whined in her kennel so I left her out & low & behold she wasn’t limping!! Kept her quiet in bed & sleeping beauty is still snoring so I’m not sure what our plan should be. Even though she hates it & flops down like a fainting goat (& I might need the other 1/2 of rimadyl) we’ll keep packing her up/downstairs. Should I keep giving rimadyl in case she’s got a little swelling I can’t see? Vet apt no matter what? FYI: She’s a petite 40 lber with great body mechanics up/downstairs. Perfectly straight back line & no furniture allowed. Thanks in advance basset hound friends!!

I'd crate rest, for now but really you should have your vet take a look, and prescribe as needed (with utd meds!!). Does she NEED to be using stairs - could you perhaps sort out a ramp if she does? Even at only 40 lbs, you can't be lifting her up all the time or, like me, you'lll wreck your back!!

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
without a medical exam impossible to say what it is and the right course of action. ie soft tissue injury crate rest minimium 14 days. Arthritis. anti-inf amatory =, joint lubrication like HA( hyaluronic acid) , Patellar luxation any where from surgery to doing nothing depending on severity, CCl tear complete or incomplete. CCL do not repair themselves eventual it will be a full tear but you can manage partial tears till it is more appropriate to do surgery. Structural alignment issue that can be helped with chiropractic care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts