Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jake has had a bout of severe itching- waking up at night, restless- pure misery. He also developed hives at this time. Apparently he has allergies to something this time of year. The vet prescibed Temaril-P which worked beautifully. He was on a low dose- 2 pills twice a day and weaned off to 1/2 a tab twice a day. I weaned him off completely after 10 days... but the itching and paw gnawing have returned. The vet has us restarting the Temaril- P. I'm just a bit nervous b/c it does have prenisolone in it. It is low dose and the vet said he would be fine... but I seem to be reading about a lot of dogs with Cushings so am a bit nervous. I guess I just wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with this medicine and what their thoughts were. I tried the benadryl and it just really didn't help this time around. We are also doing oatmeal baths- though his skin looks perfectly fine. Sigh- I hate miserable pups :(

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
prednisone or any steriod or any perscription med including benadryl are not without risk. The risks are relatively low is properly managed vs the pain an risks associated without treatment
it would seem to me favors treatment.

A

·
0 Posts
If the dose is low it is sup. to be ok I know toby had to be on pred/. for a while, but we had it down to like 1 pill every other day good luck

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have given Spencer Temaril-P for some time now, for severe allergies. I give him 1/2 tablet, twice a day, as needed. It works so well for him, I think the risks are worth it. He gets injections for his allergies, but certain times of the year he needs a little more help with the itching. His vet has assured me the low dose carries low risks. So far, so good!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We may be going the testing route with Jake. The vet said the allergy shots might help. His seems very seasonal- at least for now- so we were going to try the temaril- P first. We are at 1 tab twice a day (started with 2) and I'll start weaning to the 1/2 tab today or tomorrow- It does work well - he acts fine... I'm a worrier by nature :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts