Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should a basset's teeth be brushed? I've heard so many different theories about teeth brushing - is once a week enough?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I brush Yogi's teeth every night before we go to bed. He doesn't really like it but he is a very good boy about the whole thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Opps, ok, this is going to make me look bad and perhaps irresponsible but not irresponsible enough to now not ask.

Basil is my first hound and dog and, excuse perhaps the obvious but, how nescessary is it to brush dogs teeth? Reason i ask is that as i have had such a large time between having a dog some 25 years ago and then Basil last October, ownership does seem to have moved on loads. Back then fleas n things could be a right royal nuisance, these days they can be barely unknown which is great. So, does one HAVE to brush a dogs teeth or should one brush the teeth? If it has to be done then i too would be interested in the frrquency so i can get that happening.

Does seem initially a bit odd that they drink water, eat meaty things and/or biscuit food, treats are teeth friendly and any sweets are sugar free and simple so are they really at much risk of tooth damage? Granted any brushing must be better than no brushing but am now wondering how imperative it should be as i want to do the right things for the lil guy.

Nat

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Cute Video! Rusty and Stickers are much better behaved than my two when I brush their fangs. After the last trip to the vet for teeth cleaning that cost me megabucks, as well as more gray hairs worrying about the anesthetic, I vowed I would brush their teeth daily. So far (two weeks!), I've done it. But I keep wondering if it's really going to do that much good. My two squirm and lap the dog tooth paste so much I can't tell what's going on, and half the time I seem to be just banging the tooth brush around in their mouths....

·
Registered
23 Posts
We were at the vet yesterday for annual maint. Caught he** for not brushing Maggie's teeth enough. She got her fangs polished by the nurse, we got a warning about the cost of doggie dental work. Sorry Maggie, like it or not you get brushed every night now.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Be sure to use dog toothpaste (you can get it at any dog supply store) instead of human toothpaste. Murray's and Minna's is peanut flavor, and they LOVE it- they can't wait for toothbrushing time!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
If it has to be done then i too would be interested in the frrquency so i can get that happening.[/b]

There is not a single right answer and the right answer is only how it pertains to an individual dog. Factors that influence it are the

1. dogs diet soft food generally is more likely to cause more of a plaque build up

2, How the dog eats chews. Many if most hound rather than chew kibble swallow it hole therby negating any benefit from possible teeth sraping of the hard kibble. There are dry food designed to help keep teeth cleen but the kbble size must be large enough so the dog actually chews it

3. addition chew. tennis balls, dental chews . bones etc. Bone are know to keep dogs teeth clean but they come at a risk of stomach and intestinal blockages and puncture. It is on reason vets prefer brushing to bones. Dental chew can have a limited benefit depending how often the dog uses them. Tennis balls car very abrassive on teeth and can wear them out. One should limit a dog to acess to ball specifical designed for dogs.

4. dental conformation. The arragment of the teeth, gaps, alignment, spacing play a important role on the amount of food debris trapped.

so there are dogs that do not ever need brushing but in general they are few and far between. Also it is nearly impossible to over brush as well it is often recommend tofollowing human brushing protocal which is following every meal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would suggest to keep your dogs toothbrushes in "your" toothbrush holder. This way you see them every time you brush your teeth. You can chose to ignore it but you can't say you forgot! Just make sure you don't grab the wrong toothbrush :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm I hadn't even really considered this too much yet. Our other Basset had some teeth problems, I just hadn't thought about this yet with Rosie and her being so young. It may make it easier for her to get used to it now rahter than later. Do you get any paticular brush? I did read that you use dog specific paste I'm assuming you just get at the pet store, but what about the brush?

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is where I keep their toothbrushes so I see them everynight as a reminder.

This is the toothpaste I use. Rusty was having a reaction to the peanut flavor so I switched to beef. I get it at PetSmart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts