Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the responses from al of you, I guess she is as nuts as we thought, lol. Today she wouldn't go out in the rain, but joined me in the shower less then a half hour later.
You just need to be careful who's shampoo you grab when there is soap in your eyes!
I am curious how often you should shampoo them? I can't imagine, it's more then once a week, or less.

Tatsi is clown, she doesn't know if she is coming or going. ;)

She spent over an hour barking at a tissue box, until we realized she dropped her treat in it! We just thought she had goneinsane, and were laughing so hard, I thought we'd wet out pants! (then again, it would have been ann excuse for her to get in the shower again) :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I am curious how often you should shampoo them? I can't imagine, it's more then once a week, or less.

[/b]
I think frequent bathing can over-stimulate the oil glands. Murray is 4, and has only had a few baths in his entire life, when spot cleaning wouldn't work. He has a beautiful soft coat, and doesn't have a hound odor. I know others have different opinions on this, but this has worked for us.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I reckon once a year is MORE than enough for Toby.(used to do it every 6months until vet told me that was too often) He doesn't smell either.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Having owned so many bassets I've lost track, I'd like to share what I've learned over the years. Our first basset reeked BAD. We bathed her and bathed her. I know now that the odor was diet related. She ate anything, and everything.

Since, I've learned how important proper diet is to bassets, (it can even caused ear allergies, thus more odor) I only have to bath my hounds about twice a year. They have no odor other than what's normal for a dog. I agree it can ruin thier skin, oil glands, etc.

A proper diet includes NO people food, and a good quality dog food. You may have to experiment a bit, until you find out which one your hound thrives on.

My boys just love the occasional rub down with alchohol free baby wipes, just to freshen them up. They come running right over when they see the babywipes coming.

Also, cleaning the ears regularly helps. maybe every other day just to start, then less often as needed...

My two cents...hope it helps! :)

Sandy

·
Registered
196 Posts
My boys only get bathed abot once or twice a year, with ad hoc baths when one of them jumps into the stream, which has some mineral in it that makes the water and mud BRIGHT ORANGE.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
There are some medical conditions like Seborrhea which bassets are prone than proper treatment requires frequent bathing. Other than that too frequent bathing can cause skin problems, irritation which in the en can lead to more hound odor not less. Once or twice a year works for us but for dogs on the "show ciruit" the are bathed much more frequently will little ill effect either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts