Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nutty, one of the non-houndies I have, is very talkative. Dudley has started to talk to us, too (no, we're not smoking anything...). One of the inanimate objects he speaks to most is string cheese!

Does anyone else have a talking dog?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Bassets are known to be talkative! :)
Doris is often talking - but she barks or howls.
Emma seldom barks or howls, but she has 100 other strange noises she makes.... :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Belvedere is fairly quiet. My new one, Dixie, is a talker. She bark-talks. While sometimes it's very cute ...it can also be hard to handle. She basically gives little barks when she wants something. Or when she's happy to be getting something. Or when someone comes to visit. Or just when she arrives in a room and has just come from outside, where something fascinating happened.

I'm getting used to it but it's not easy :D

M

·
0 Posts
Rusty is a quiet guy but Stickers actually "squeaks" when she wants something. It's not a whine, but a squeak. I told her breeder she should have named her Squeakers not Stickers!

A

·
0 Posts
Bubba mumbled ( sounded like someone muttering under their breath) all the time with a huge variety of other sounds, plus his lovely Aroooo! So far Bogie is a very quiet guy, we have only heard him bark about three times in the six weeks we have had him.

[ March 08, 2006, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

A

·
0 Posts
Our Toby opens and closes his mouth while making a noise so it comes out as wa-wa-wa-wa-wa. This usually means get up now and (a) feed me (B) let me out © get off my couch!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lucy talks all the time. She sounds like she's warbling (is that a word) like a bird.. it's amazing. We sit and laugh hysterically.. she especially does it when we have something to eat that SHE wants. Between the look and the noise it's a riot!

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby is very vocal and she and I have conversations all the time. Patti can attest to it as she's heard us "talk"...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, Henrietta talks all the time. It drives me crazy sometimes, but I can't help to notice it's really cute!

Winston also talks. If you scolded him, he will talk back (kinda defend himself or give excuses)!!!
We feel like we're raising a teenager in our house. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Daisy Jayne talks to my hair-drier. Not sure if she loves it or hates it, but she makes the most noise (barking and grumbling and yipping) when that hair-drier is running!

Like Winston, she talks back if she's been scolded, too.

And I hear about it if I don't say "Hello" to her first when I get home from work.

A

·
0 Posts
I don't fondly call Claire "Motor Mouth" for nothing!! If i don't pet her enough or shower her with a ton of attention, or heaven forbid, pet or play with Porkchop, she immediately lets me know her discontent. She sounds like a cross between a bark/howl/monkey combination. It's like no sound I have ever heard before. And if I let it, she will go on and on and on......... mostly I just laugh, but it gets a little annoying if I have company over or if I'm on the phone.
She also gets mad at her TAIL and runs in circles barking and chasing it......... a little neurotic ya think?? hehehehe

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mocha and Beldin do LOTS of "talking". I've often said ... "I don't know WHY people call them 'Hush Puppies' when they're so vocal!" ... My mom finally came back with, "It's because you always have to say, 'HUSH puppy!" *hehe*

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sebastien rarely shuts up, frankly. He coos, moos, mumbles, huffs, barks & aroos up quite a storm. And sleep doesn't always quiet him either - he can be a champion snorer as well.

Christina, your mom's comeback says it all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts